PDA

View Full Version : planned set-up...

Sushiman
10-31-2001, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Well I found a 50 gallon set-up for sale second hand in Burnaby two weeks ago and for $150.00 I couldn't resist (heck, my wife even said go for it!) here's what I got:
-50 gallon glass w/home made welded stand
-old Amir. W/D & overflow
-55w(x2)10000K PC dual strip
-approx 20# Fiji LR (med. quality)
-4"DSB mixed grade
-150W Ebo-jager
-Mag 7 return
-old Amir. HOT C/C skimmer(to be replaced)
-a couple of old powerheads(to be replaced)
I've cleaned it up & got it running, I upgraded his lighting to the PC's listed. painted the back of the aquarium black & touched up the stand, zipped pegboard to the stand & attached the powerstrips etc.
I've added a Red Mangrove to the sump on RDP by a 130W growlight pendant. Anyone out there using Mangroves?
The plan is to SLOWLY transform the tank from a fish only to a mixed reef. Soft, shrooms, inverts. then move to LPS & finally clams.(hope to have a PFO 400W 6500K pendant by then).
Next purchase is an bigger skimmer (undecided, input please!), 20-30# Tonga LR, another PC dual strip & some maxijets to get some decent circulation going. images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
Tips, feedback, suggestions PLEASE!

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: Sushiman ]

DJ88
10-31-2001, 10:46 PM
We will put this in a better spot..

The other forum is for meetings and such.. you'll get more exposure here..

reefburnaby
11-01-2001, 01:40 AM
Hi,

Oh my gawd...$150 got you that much stuff !!!!! A new Hagen 50 gal is $150. Good deal images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mag 7 -- I have heard that these pumps have some problems with temperatures above 80. Check it out in reefcentral. The main problem is that they don't startup properly after a power disruption.

I would get some macro algae for the sump -- this helps control algae problems in the future.

What are you going to do for calcium/alk supplements ?

IMHO, your tank is ready for softies and LPS. If you have a SLR, take a light reading and compare it to dealer tanks.

- Victor.

DJ88
11-01-2001, 11:48 AM
Sushi,

Sweet deal.. I know someone in Vic who wishes he had found that deal. It is exactly what he wants to set up.. (Right Adam? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

Sounds like you are going on the right track. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

With the MAG7's they do shut off if over heated. I haven't had any trouble re-starting after shutting them off unless the thermal protection has cut in. Then they are a bitch to re start. (I soaked mine in cooler water to get it started sooner). I run my tnak at 80 degrees. It sits there day in day out, plus or minus .8. It is quite possible that if you have higher spikes in the day this may happen.

Rather than put a second strip of PC's, which you will have to take off later to put the MH over the tank, why not go MH right away? Run the PC's as Actinics? A PFO 400W ballast is $170 or so. Run the tank with fish for a bit to save up the extra bit for the socket and pendant then go big. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif It will be cheaper to go MH now than after buying the PC's. Unless you have a use in mind for the PC's afterwards.. As I see it now you will be spending double the cash and will have to take one set of lights off. That is my impression tho. A 400W 6500K and 110W of actinic woudl work well That is some great light for a 50 gallon tank.

For a skimmer on a tank that size If you plan on staying with this tank and not going bigger down the road go for the PM Venturi skimmers. I run the 426 on my 33 and it is a sweet skimmer. High quality, runs well. You use a mag pump with it and it does a great job. The 626 is rated for 150 gallons and would work well. Other wise I'd say go really big and get a bullet. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif There are lots of otehrs out there.. but for locally sold I'd recommend the PM line. Hopefully more guys can help here. I know Marc runs a berlin XL on his big system. (Am I right Marc?). Maybe he can put a few bits of info in.

Well sounds like you are well on your way. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see it.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Sushiman
11-02-2001, 01:30 AM
Gracias everyone! The feedback is great. I've waited to do this system for so many years I don't want to screw it up & cut corners images/smiles/icon_razz.gif Thank you re; the PC tip, that was what I was toying with, but I wanted to get some input. Go big or go home! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I've grounded out the system & the LR is perking up quite a bit, little red & purple tubeworms are everywhere. The mangrove has dropped 7-8 root buds and a bioforcation has started at the tip where the first leaf shoot is emerging-Yeah!
Thanks for the skimmer input, PM has pretty much got me sold.
images/smiles/icon_confused.gif any personal fav's re: Ca & Alk. supplimentation? In my line of work I have easy access to IV supplies & I had planned on a DIY IV doser for Kalk. Tips & tricks please! I want to K.I.S.S. on all aspects of this system. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

reefburnaby
11-03-2001, 01:56 AM
Hello,

I think Calcium/Alk additives are easier with two part solutions. If money is really really no object...calcium reactor !!! Dosing kalk is a bit more involved...but they work and they have their advantages.

Hope you have good quality test kits (Sailferts). I have been burned with my Hagen test kits.

Sounds like a fine system...

- Victor.