PDA

View Full Version : clownfish ?

Edmonton Eskimo
02-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Is it possible to trick a clown? What I mean is when I empty my tank to get it drilled can I add another clownfish when I reintroduce everything. Can I trick them into thinking they were introduced at the same time?

whaase
02-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Should be able to. Make sure the new one is smaller than the old one. They will do some shaking and then all should be ok. Worked for me.

Walter

Edmonton Eskimo
02-17-2005, 02:20 AM
cool thanks and by the way that's a wicked avatar! I love that show

Ryan
02-17-2005, 01:57 PM
YOu can add lengths of cheap plastic pipe too put it all over the rocks on the bottom verticle horizontal. Then it will definalty seem like a new tonk. Once they get used to eachother just take out the piping.

BCOrchidGuy
02-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm with Walter, make sure the new one is smaller it shouldn't be any problem. You're taking the tank apart so it's akin to giving them both a new tank. Use caution if it's a Maroon though.

Doug

Ryan
02-17-2005, 07:23 PM
if it were a maroon i could gaurentee it wouldnt work you would have to build a safe haven for the little one.

BCOrchidGuy
02-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Ryan I don't really agree, I've paired Maroons up, they're natural bullies but if the size difference is enough I found the little one just doesn't try to mess with the big one, no need to test the limits as it wasn't a contest, they paired up nicely. Wendell or maybe Jack at Ocean Aquatics would probably be the best one to ask though as they've had lots of experience breeding them if I'm not mistaken.

Doug

Ryan
02-18-2005, 05:52 PM
I dont know doug. Maybe if one was alot larger but even if they are an ich or 2 apart they will still rip on each other. You need alo of rock work for a small one to hide. It even states on alot of sites that when buying maroon pair make sure they are bagged seperatly (male female) and protect the male while the female calms down for a bit.

BCOrchidGuy
02-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Ryan yes there really has to be a size difference and yes of more than an inch. I mean the female should be big and the new male should be small. Yes for sure they should be bagged seperately and the male always needs places to hide. My maroons were very close however the female would every once in a while show him who wears the skirt and he'd be back at her side in a few seconds. She'd bring him food etc and be super sweet but then bang again. Like I say their natural bullies but if the size difference is enough the male wont try to stand up to the female, she'll give him a bruising and he'll be there for her when she's ready. (sounds sadly familiar.... but I regress)...

Doug

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-18-2005, 06:38 PM
My experience went contrary to most of what I had read/learned about maroons. My 4" new female went in with a 2.5" male & she never bothered him at all. Of course, I think the deciding factor was that she was "bullied" by my cherub angel & yellow tang for the first couple of days so she never got herself established high up in the hierarchy before she paired off. (This female was bought by my dad & it cost me over $120 worth of corals :evil: when it was practicing for the "coral toss" event for the 2010 Olympics.)

EE: Before we went off-track with the great Maroon debate, just keep in mind that none of these things are set in stone so if you get lucky, they'll pair off & nobody (ie. male) gets beat up. Just be prepared if you do get a female from H-E-double hockey sticks & have some place you can relocate one of them to.

JME & $.02s worth,

Anthony

Edmonton Eskimo
02-19-2005, 01:52 AM
I have a 3 inch ocellaris and I want to add another ocellaris should I get one bigger or smaller?

muck
02-19-2005, 02:42 AM
I have a 3 inch ocellaris and I want to add another ocellaris should I get one bigger or smaller?
smaller.