PDA

View Full Version : goby/sps

richtg
02-17-2005, 12:11 AM
I picked up a yellow clown goby last week and it took to this birdsnest colony. It offers great protection from the clowns, but it's kept on it's toes from the pair of porcelin crabs below.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1107goby-birdsnest-med.jpg
The problem is that the colonies polyps have remained retracted due to the stimulation of the fish. Is it just the friction of the fish swimming around, or are there any known secretions from these fish? Either way, I would like to keep the goby, but don't want any SPS to suffer the consequenses. Any advice?

Rich.

Aquattro
02-17-2005, 12:34 AM
they can bother corals, and that isn't a birdsnest, it's an acropora.

Rus
02-17-2005, 12:35 AM
i'm not completley positive but i do no certain gobies will become a major irritant and more for sps , i thought it was the yellow clown ? i would do a search either here or RC and i'm sure you'll dig up some info

hth -Russ

richtg
02-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Brad. I know it's an acro, but I was told it's known as a "birdsnest" acro. I never tried to find out it's name. Now I feel stupid!

Rus, it is a yellow clown goby, not a yellow clown. :lol:

Thanks, Rich.

j83
02-17-2005, 02:06 AM
It is a yellow clown goby - both you are right. Goby's do have a noxious slime on their bodies that make them less edible to larger fish - leaves a bad taste in their mouth so to speak =). I am uncertain as to whether or not this slime directly affects the corals but I have heard many stories of the negative effects that goby's can have on corals. I love their personality though - which is why I keep mine!

Chin_Lee
02-17-2005, 02:12 AM
I've had two brown clown gobies in my tank - both ate polyps off my acros.
I know Props (jesse) had one in his tank and desimated a few of this acros because he couldn't catch it... eventually he tore his tank down to get it.
two bad experiences with clown gobies and acros. I cannot recommend them for anybody who intends on keeping acros. keep an eye on your yellow guy and see if he pulls out polyps from that beautiful acro.

When are you planning to frag that thing? Its beautiful..... please let me know :mrgreen:

AJ_77
02-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Adam also talks of a polyp-eating yellow goby, with pic:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14351

richtg
02-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Thanks, guys. That is indeed the same goby that I have. I have never seen it eat any coral polyps. It will wander the tank and forage for food, but always returns to that colony for shelter. I hope I don't have to get rid of it. Rich.

P.S. Thanks for the zoos, Alan. They are really taking off now.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1107zoos-med.jpg

AJ_77
02-20-2005, 02:55 AM
I have GOT to start keeping some of those... :mrgreen:

Azilla
02-20-2005, 05:05 AM
My goby sits on my hand when i feed just sticks to me. Only thing i know is when they mate they will lay there eggs on the corals and it will disturb the corals somtimes kills the patch where the eggs are