PDA

View Full Version : Help me?! Help my Hammer Coral?

michika
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
My unending battle with nitrates is becoming rather bloody as of late. My hammer coral isn't doing so well. So I have a couple favors to ask of the Edmonton Reefers.

First favor, would someone be willing to look after my hammer assuming it survives? its looking pretty shirvelled right now.

Second favor, anyone have a dremel and drill bit to drill a tank available to borrow? I've decided that the best way for me to go with the nitrates battle is to made a refugium asap!

Help? Please?

Edmonton Eskimo
02-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I have a dremel with brand new bits that I haven't used yet and I would be willing to help you. I'll send you a pm

guysmiley
02-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi there,

I can watch your coral for however long you need me too. I also have a 10 Gallon refugium I'm not using anymore that you can borrow if you want. It has a drain hole cut into the right side of the tank near the top. I have the lights and canopy for it as well (just screw in PC's)

PM me if you want to.

Garrick.

Reefhawk1
02-17-2005, 03:23 AM
I can baby sit the Hammer for you Lots of room in my 180.

Stan

michika
02-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think my hammer made it :frown: the poor thing was looking better yesterday and now this morning its shrivelled, has lost its 'hammers' and is spewing something into the water that looks like mucus. I think he's coming out of the tank shortly, unless anyone things otherwise.

Thank you though!

Nemain
02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Dont give up hope until all the flesh is gone! I can swing by and grab it/babysitt it for you if you need.

Beth

michika
02-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Alright so the plan is for it to hang around until all its flesh is gone and then that will be it.

It still has some flesh now, but its devlopped this very fuzzy looking exterior. The hammer before used to have pink tops and that lovely neon green stalk. Now everything is brownish with a few minor peices that are still holding the green color. I could only get a few pictures and unfortunatly I really do suck at sizing them,

https://secure.hosting.telus.net/cmi/download/web/animalia/PICT0006.JPG

So what do I do? If it looks like it has a chance I want it to have that chance. So what does everyone think? Ideas on what happened to it? Did it get stung by my acropora

I'm going to ask someone to move part of this thread into the reef section (can that be done?)

KrazyKuch
02-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Never mind the Hammer is now dead...He has no flesh left!

geopod
02-28-2005, 07:36 PM
michika,

Its too bad about your hammer.If it will make you feel good I lost mine when I flew it from Halifax to Edmonton last tuesday.And I had nothing but a skeleton left the day after I put it in its new tank at the petstore(boarding).But I have another one set aside at a store in town and it is huge so I may once I get there can frag you a piece for you if you like.

michika
03-01-2005, 04:34 AM
That would be wonderful!

Beverly
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Too bad I saw this thread so late. Sorry to hear you lost yours. I've got two different Euphyllia sp. in different tanks. Like lots of light and moderate water flow. My hammer is host to a pair of skunk clowns and is doing very well. It stands upright alone, not surrounded by any rock, and has enough water flow to make the hammers sway in the current but not so much flow that it is being blown all over the place.

Now that your hammer has died in your tank, you will definitely see a rise in nitrate from its dead flesh. If you have any mechanical filtration in the tank, remove the filter media right away and clean it, which will help reduce nitrate.

michika
03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
As soon as it was starting to go I suctioned up the flesh that fell off got it out, did water changes, and changed our filter media!

Everything is okay now, without my hammer!