PDA

View Full Version : Anyone order there salt through J&L?

Kabong
02-16-2005, 07:11 PM
I guess the real question is what the shipping fees?
cause the $50 for the salt is great.

christyf5
02-16-2005, 07:49 PM
I paid $36 for shipping on my bucket of salt. Bloody ridiculous IMO. I was hoping they would just put it on the bus but it was shipped by something else (canada post or UPS or something). Still it was cheaper than the $120 they charge in Nanaimo for the equivalent (only one place sells IO here in 50G bags).

Maybe shipping is cheaper to Victoria??

Christy :)

JohnM99
02-17-2005, 01:23 AM
I got my salt from Paul's in Surrey - they just put it on the bus - can't exactly remember the price, but not bad for the half ton or so I got (seemed that heavy). Using Crystal Seas Marine Mix - got 150 lbs. actually.

J&L are kind of flexible on the shipping - they usually use UPS - which works well - but you can use other ways - I just got a couple of nice boxes of snails, cowries, conch, frozen food, and a couple of fish today - left their store about noon - picked them up at the airport at 4 - total shipping $20 on Pacific Coastal Air, plus $10 packing. Very reasonable, can't beat the speed. Pacific Coastal are very good with handling the boxes carefully as well.

Ask them if they will send it on the bus.

Willow
02-17-2005, 06:19 AM
20 bucks!! dude i live in richmond and it probably cost me 10 bucks in gas getting to j&l. that’s a pretty good deal on shipping.

i think if i remember there is a surcharge on salt shipping ups as it's considered dangerous goods.

JohnM99
02-18-2005, 01:34 AM
No problem sending salt on the bus.

BCOrchidGuy
03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
If they want to get technical they will classify it as a dangerous good because it could be corrosive. Some shipping agents at greyhound will hit you for it most wont.

Doug

BCWolfen
03-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I paid $36 for shipping on my bucket of salt. Bloody ridiculous IMO. I was hoping they would just put it on the bus but it was shipped by something else (canada post or UPS or something). Still it was cheaper than the $120 they charge in Nanaimo for the equivalent (only one place sells IO here in 50G bags).

Maybe shipping is cheaper to Victoria??

Christy :)

$70 for the large bucket of Kent's at MFT. But with the amount of people now that make trips to J&L's one would think we could get it there before a bucket runs out.

Aquattro
03-09-2005, 11:27 PM
I paid $20 for the last salt I had shipped from J&L

Kabong
03-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Hey Brad.
How was it shipped?

Fish Breath
03-12-2005, 06:22 AM
I have a offer for everyone in Victoria
I come over to Victoria quite often to visit a friend in Brentwood Bay but I usually walk on ( due to the cost of driving on). If enough of you pool together and got enough people to pay my ferry fare to drive on there and back no gas charges just ferry costs I would pick up from J&L and bring a load over the more people in the cheaper the shipping I could also pick up from Big Al's,King Ed's or Pauls Aquarium or any others that are local to me
If 4 were in on the group it would be around $18.50 each for shipping
if 6 were in it would be around $12.50
if 8 were in it would be around $9.25
and so on
I could also bring any other goods in the same load provinding I have room. I drive a Caravan. So I don't think that space would be an issue

This is just a thought for you guys and gals But I guess you would all have to order around the same time I would obviously need a couple days notice so I could pick up.
Once I am in Victoria you could pick up in Brentwood Bay and or possibly downtown If I venture into town

Squiddy
03-30-2005, 12:53 AM
I need a couple of 30lb bags of aragamax sugar sand :) But only if a number of people were going to do this.

Too bad the prices in Victoria are so much higher than in Vancouver. I picked up three 40lb bags of Aragamax Select at J&L for $43 each.. saw them at hillside for $79.99 each..

mid-island reef
04-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I got my aragamax sugar sand at my local store for $40 a 30lb bag. I got his last 2 bags though but he said he is ordering more next week.

Cheers

Squiddy
04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Yea it's $49.99 here but $28.95 in Vancouver.. huge difference.. specially when you're buying 4 bags.

mid-island reef
04-12-2005, 05:20 AM
I tend to look at the big picture when dealing with my LFS. I always get good deals when I need stuff, and he does his best to match J&L and King Ed's prices when he can. ( sometimes better ... boxes or buckets of Instant ocean are $39.99 ). There is never an issue with warranty as he buys from a canadian distributor ( J&L and King Ed buy mostly from the US ). I guess the biggest thing is I can get what I want when I want it, not to mention the tons of free advice I get from him.

The only drawback to my local guy is he is renovateing his marine section, and selection is poor in the short term.

just my 10 cents ...

Squiddy
04-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Cool well maybe I will have to come up and check it out :biggrin:

Kabong
04-14-2005, 06:27 PM
With the price of gas right now it's probably cheaper to get it shipped from Van then to drive the malahat :rolleyes:

Squiddy
04-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Ugh true.. unless you can get to the Costco on the mainland with the cheap gas (0.78 or something).