PDA

View Full Version : 140g LPS/Zoo tank

Zerandise
02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Well after 7 or 8 months its all ready!

Thanks to the boyz (Wendell and Jack) at OceanAquatics for all the help! You guys are a credit to the addiction! I dont think anyone in canada could have a shop close to being as helpful as yours. Thanks guys!!!!

I will post some pics after i fix my sump and get rid of all the micro bubbles.

The tank is a 140g acrylic. It has rounded corners and a center overflow. The over flow is drilled with two 1" durso's

I desided to go with a closed loop. I drilled a 1 1/2" outtake that is fed into four 1" returns. The plumbing is all 1 1/2" to keep the flow up as much as possible. The pump i went with (after 3 tries. should have listened to Jack right out of the gate!!!) is a dolphin Ampmaster 3000. This pump is the master of all pumps. The flow is crazy and is almost totaly quiet! buy far the best pump i could have gotten.

I have a 20g acrylic sump. The skimmer pulls from it and returns to it. It feeds into the refugium by way of a 1 1/2" bulkhead.

The refugium is a 33g. I am adding two more baffles to it tonight as the micro bubbles are still getting past. I will be adding the sandbed from my 55g 1 yr tank after the new baffles are in. The return is a Quietone. Its pumping back at around 600gph. A little fater than i want but it will do.

My beckett was made by OA and after 3 days is pulling out some amazing gunk. I added a 3' peice of tube to the air intake so it no longer makes the sucking noise but still has the same foam. It is run off a Mak4 that give just the right flow. A great skimmer!!!

I also have an OA kalk reactor connected to my auto top off. i put in two electric flot switchs into the power cable of a powerhead. When the water drops it turns them on and refills lost water. I used tow in case one gets stuck in the on position the other will still kill the flow.

I have 2x 250w 10k MH and 1x 175w 10k MH. I think i will be upgrading the 175 to a 400 20 at some point and the 250's to 14k's. I will be adding hammertone to the canopy as soon at it gets here.

I also have 4x 110w VHO actinics. I think i will move two of these to 10k's when bulb replacement time comes. It does however make the colors come right out!!!!

right now i have about 120 lbs of LR but will be adding more shortly. I have a 1-2" sand bed. I like the look of sand (hate BB) but dont want to troubles of a 5-6" bed.

Well thats all i can think of right now. Its a very basic system but should work well.

once again thanks Jack, Wendell and Matt!!! Without you guys i would still be trying to figure out how to do this!!!!!

danny zubot
05-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Sounds really cool, I didn't see any pics in the forum, do you have any yet?

Zerandise
05-10-2005, 08:03 PM
here are some of the hardware pics:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1035

and these are some of the life pics of it.:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/1/sort/1/perpage/12/ppuser/1591

The tank is comeing along nicely. The zoo side is stocked with frags to grow out. now its time to work on the LPS side. I have a couple Acan Lords already but will be adding more.

danny zubot
05-10-2005, 08:06 PM
The harware and plumbing looks really well done. I can't view the livestock pics, do you have them on canreef?

Zerandise
05-10-2005, 08:10 PM
no sorry they are on www.aquariumpros.ca another canadian reefing board.

Delphinus
05-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Don't you mean www.aquariumpros.ca ? I thought the .com one was in the US.

Zerandise
05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
lol yeah sorry :)

had just been one of those days