PDA

View Full Version : Cyano???

Murminator
02-15-2005, 04:27 AM
The coraline aglae on my rocks have been turning into a deep deep burgundy colour almost black. It seems smooth to the touch not slimey and I can scrape it off with my thumbnail. Could this be the dreaded cyano? or a different algae...couple spots growing on my powerhead also :confused:

Nemo
02-15-2005, 05:15 AM
Sure sounds like it, this is the battle I am in the middle of now

Azilla
02-15-2005, 05:41 AM
ya i got it all over my sand bed got rid of it now its back

G1GY
02-15-2005, 06:04 AM
The coraline aglae on my rocks have been turning into a deep deep burgundy colour almost black. It seems smooth to the touch not slimey and I can scrape it off with my thumbnail. Could this be the dreaded cyano? or a different algae...couple spots growing on my powerhead also :confused:

Sounds to me like you might be seeing coraline growth. Is it just on the rocks and powerheads? Does start out like a little spot and then keeps getting larger? If your not finding it on the sandbed, good chance it's not cyano IMO. Also Cyano can just be rubbed off without using your thumb nail. As a matter of fact, when I had a bloom I was siphoning it off of stuff.

I have coraline that is very dark as you described.

I might be a little early in saying this, but CONGRATS! :mrgreen:

Beverly
02-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Murray,

I have stuff like you are describing in my 120g. Not at all fuzzy and looks like coraline, which fooled me at first, but I think it's still a cyano species.

What makes it so funny to me is that the oldest fossils found in Pre-cambrian rock (edit: about 3.8 billion years ago) is of cyanobacteria and here were are today, all us smart folks, trying to rid our tanks of this super-ancient life form :eek: :evil: :lol:

Murminator
02-15-2005, 04:59 PM
[
Sounds to me like you might be seeing coraline growth. Is it just on the rocks and powerheads? Does start out like a little spot and then keeps getting larger? If your not finding it on the sandbed, good chance it's not cyano IMO. Also Cyano can just be rubbed off without using your thumb nail. As a matter of fact, when I had a bloom I was siphoning it off of stuff.

I have coraline that is very dark as you described.

I might be a little early in saying this, but CONGRATS! :mrgreen:

Yes it starts out small and grows larger...and no there is none on my sand bed thanks to goldenhead sleeper goby. As far as this there is no way of siphoning it off it has a good hold.