PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ring?

monza
02-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Who bought the blue ring Octopus at Oceans??? Anyone here???

Dave

EmilyB
02-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Who bought the blue ring Octopus at Oceans??? Anyone here???

Dave

I was going to ask the same thing after a visit last Monday and seeing the empty tank lableled "blue ring octopus" :eek:

monza
02-14-2005, 07:28 AM
That's what I saw today.

Quinn
02-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Not listed as threatened or endangered, but... why? I don't understand the attraction.

http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/bluering5.html

AndyL
02-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised Oceans would choose to import such a beast. There are lots of more suitable (and non venemous) octopuses out there.

I hope they made the buyer sign a waiver!

Andy

monza
02-14-2005, 02:41 PM
teevee

No real attraction more curious. Supposedly one of the deadliest poisons in nature.

I just hope who ever bought it new what they bought.
:eek:

Dave

danny zubot
02-14-2005, 03:33 PM
:eek: I've always been interested in octos but that one would be terrible. Just out of curiosity are there any that would make good tank inhabitants? Abundant in nature and live well in aquariums?

albert_dao
02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Keeping octopi is pretty much limited to species tanks. They make very poor companions to anything motile.

Not bad with the less noxious sessile inverts though.

Willow
02-14-2005, 06:08 PM
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61215&highlight=octopus

cag
02-15-2005, 03:21 AM
They tried to tell me last fall that the blue ring they had in was "easy to keep" and "no danger to anything but small fishes." I did not go for it, but they really tried to convince me it was a fine choice for anyone experienced or not. Kinda scary. In the very least there should be standard forms of some kind that must be signed by the customer before taking the things home that make it clear just how dangerous some of these creatures are- to everyone. Otherwise, people like myself who have no known alergies are being mislead to believe there is no real danger in keeping them. Not Good.

Ryan
02-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I would watch the obitchuatie (sp?) one bite from them can kill a guy easy. They would be cool. They stay small too i think. Aquarium fish magazine did an awsome article on octopus this month but still a blue ring i wouldnt want something that could kill me. I mean sure lionfish will stun you or cause some major pain but death? Doesnt seem like a big thing to me.

Delphinus
02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
They're amazing beautiful creatures, and their tiny size is amazing.

I remember seeing one in captivity many years ago at a basement op store. No bigger than a tennis ball.

It's too bad they're extremely dangerous, incredibly clever and adept escape artists (and can squeeze into the most insanely small crevasses), and have such short livespans. This one is best left in the ocean.

Actually I kind of feel that way about any cephalopod, but I suppose there are good examples of dedicated setups out there for them. But it can never be a casual decision to "try" one.

danny zubot
02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
They tried to tell me last fall that the blue ring they had in was "easy to keep" and "no danger to anything but small fishes." I did not go for it, but they really tried to convince me it was a fine choice for anyone experienced or not.

Who are "they"?

Quinn
02-16-2005, 02:55 AM
To me it doesn't really represent any more of an ethical dilemma than, say, selling guns does. They're no more endangered than many other species we keep, as far as I know. My question is simply, why bother when the animal will likely die within weeks, and when it could quite easily kill you, your dog, cat or your child.

What disappoints me is that Oceans would try to push these on their (assumedly) less aware clientele. But it doesn't suprise me.

I believe the octopuses that the RC ceph-heads keep are being raised in captivity (but not bred). Extremely unlikely, but I would still support a licensing system for keepers of wild-caught livestock. Watch "Deep Trouble" from the oft-mentioned BBC Blue Planet series (the last disc).

I would watch the obitchuatie (sp?)...

Obituaries.

cag
02-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Who are "they"?

The heavyset guy at Oceans, don't know his name.

G1GY
02-16-2005, 03:59 AM
Who are "they"?

The heavyset guy at Oceans, don't know his name.

Dave.

Delphinus
02-16-2005, 04:32 AM
My question is simply, why bother when the animal will likely die within weeks, and when it could quite easily kill you, your dog, cat or your child.

Oh yeah, I agree. Like I said, this one is best left in the ocean.

Tarolisol
02-16-2005, 04:59 AM
If they were to sell a deadly animal without warning to a customer and something was to happen to the person couldnt there be a law suit or criminal case brought aganst the seller.

monza
02-16-2005, 05:06 AM
yea maybe but what ever if your dead!

but then again it ain't no big deal....

death? Doesnt seem like a big thing to me.

em3r1ca
02-16-2005, 05:46 AM
a guy named dave bought it
he got it because he wants the most poisonus things he can get
he likes the oddballs

Ryan
02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe they should issue a license like they do poisonous Reptiles. Hell i can get gila monstors, gaboon vipers, or rattlesnakes shipped right to my front door. I need a license to do it but it can be done. Maybe they should do that with poisonous fish make the owners buy licenses and go through some sort of course that will train them how to handle the situation if they or somebody else gets bit. You shouldnt shun somebody from a certain animal just because it is venomous. I he/she can prove themselves worthy then let them have the thing it is their money to blow. 30 years ago a reef tank used to be damselfish and mushrooms now look we r breeding clownfish bangaii cardnals people have regal angels courting in their tanks. Who to say that in 5 years blue rings are not impossible to keep. Juat demanding. JMO