PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone keep flame scallops?

Willow
02-14-2005, 04:26 AM
a few years ago i used to see these everywhere, now i only seem to see them at places like big als. a couple of people have told me that they don't make it to long in reef tanks, but with all the new efforts we go to in target feeding and increased circulation these days i wonder if anyone is having better success with them?

BCWolfen
02-14-2005, 05:14 AM
I've read a bit about them. They are hard to keep because they only filter phyto that is 40microns. No bigger no smaller. And they need to be fed everyday. Apparently most only last 4-6 months before slowly starving to death.... :cry:

Nemo
02-14-2005, 05:15 AM
I picked one up at J&L's about a month ago. it walked right over to my LTA and that was the end of him :cry:

Snappy
02-14-2005, 05:16 AM
I have an electric flame scallop that seems to be doing well for about 3 months now. It likes to situate itself in reasonable flow and creates a little nest in the sandbed. I am not sure about the differences between the electric flame and regular flame as far as requirements and life longevity go but I sure enjoy mine. I add "combo-vital" to my tank every second night and I believe it is eating.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1481electric_flame_scallop.jpg
Greg

monza
02-14-2005, 07:04 AM
I don't think they can live in any tank for very long, one of those animals that should not be sold IMO.

Not calling anyone wrong for buying one, they are cool and I hope it lives.

Dave

danny zubot
02-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I second that! Unless they make food specifically for these scallops (40 microns) which they don't think they do, people should just stay away.

Snappy
02-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I think they are too cool for me not to have one. Here is an electric flash action shot under actinic lights.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1481scallop1.jpg
Well I guess time will tell if mine lives or not. I'll keep you posted.

vanreefer
02-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I had two for about 1 month before my arrow crab killed and ate one... and the other dissapeared... :question: could still be in there somewhere, I doubt it though

Dano