PDA

View Full Version : ASM skimmers in Canada?

Hightower
02-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Ok, wrapping up my new used tank, is the addition of a protein skimmer. My last 4 months of reading, cant stress enough on the importance of one, and not to skimp on one. That being said, Im also on a budget. 500 bucks for Euro reefs and PM skimmers is too much, but 100 dollar ones just dont cut it either, and I looks to be since the ASM skimmers are very similar to euro reefs they would be the way to go given that they are in the middle price range.

My question after that lengthy explanation is who sells these skimmers in B.C or even Canada? Im trying to avoid huge shipping, and the dreaded customs costs etc.

Thanks for your help

hockey nut
02-13-2005, 08:19 AM
If you are interested in the Bullet style skimmers at all try OA. Good price, great skimmers. IMO

Hightower
02-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. But I did talk to OA. they are phasing out thier beckett skimmer due to noise and the cost which is in upwards of $500.00

bear27
02-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Get a diy beckett skimmer. Find someone to make it for you

bluetang
02-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I own a ASM G2 skimmer which I bought online for $300. They come with a pump, unlike most of the others on the market. I love mine it works awsome. by far the best bang for your buck. My tank is a 125g. Total water volume is about 175g. If I had to do it again i would have bought the G3 model for a little more shimmage, but other than that, these are great.

Hightower
02-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Seems to be the general consensus that these are awesome skimmers.
Best Value too. Talking to Wendell at OA they agree and will be carrying them in the near future.

In the meantime, It looks like no one else sells them in Canada. So I guess mail order it is.

StirCrazy
02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
anyone have a link to some pics of these?

Steve

Hightower
02-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Here is a couple of links.

http://www.saltycritter.com/skimmers-asm.htm

http://www.globeaqua.com/

However at the time of this post, the globeaqua site server seems to be down. I think they had the best price too.

Dabbler
02-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Seems to be the general consensus that these are awesome skimmers.
Best Value too. Talking to Wendell at OA they agree and will be carrying them in the near future.

In the meantime, It looks like no one else sells them in Canada. So I guess mail order it is.

Aquarium Illusions here carries them you might be able to give them a call and get one that way
http://www.aquariumillusions.com/contactus.htm
They have a 800 number just not sure if it works from BC :mrgreen:

rayyue
02-14-2005, 06:57 AM
go coral ocean on kingsway and boundary
colin(the owner) can order it for you
his phone no. is 604 733 1888
actually he can order anything for you and give you a good deal
but you have to wait for few day because his store is not too big,
so he don't stock
no matter fish, coral, equipments
i bought all of them from him
the price is way better then j&l, king ed,and big al

danny zubot
02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I'd definately go with the ASM G2 if you can get it local. I wish I'd have known about those places when I bought my skimmer. If your mind isn't set yet you could PM Chin Lee from Burnaby. I ended up buying one of his DYI skimmers and it works great.

monza
02-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I have a G4X bought it from Wai's in Calgary. It is on a 180g predator tank.
Still tweaking it and it works fine. I can't write it rules the skimmer market yet.

Dave

danny zubot
02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Still tweaking it and it works fine. There are certain mods that can be done to it so that it never needs to be adjusted. Do a google for ASM skimmer mods and you'll get some ideas.

Zerandise
02-14-2005, 04:30 PM
i think Aquariumpros.ca sells them as well. Send AJ a PM