PDA

View Full Version : Brown Jelly Disease

Sam Samy
11-01-2001, 12:11 PM
Hello All,

My torch coral has a brownish slime coating on it. I blew it off with a turkey baster, but the coral flesh came off also. Doing some research on the web, I'm finding out that it may be Brown Jelly Disease. Has anyone come across this before??? If so, how did you fix the problem. I think the entire coral will die off, but hopefully this does not spread to others...

Troy F
11-01-2001, 12:29 PM
I've not encountered this type of infection. According to The Reef Aquarium, you should not blow off the jelly as this may spread the protozoans and bacteria. Siphon off as much as you can and dip the coral in a fresh water bath for approx. 1 min and place it in a hospital tank of clean water. Get the fresh water as close to the same temp. as your tank, pH is not neccessary. Good luck!

Sam Samy
11-01-2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks Troy...

Troy F
11-01-2001, 12:56 PM
No problem Sam, one other thing you may want to trim off the dead portion with good strong scissors to avoid further contamination.

reefburnaby
11-01-2001, 02:51 PM
Hello Sams,
http://www.tadreef.com/article/bacterial.htm

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

One_Divided
11-02-2001, 12:25 AM
I dealt with the same thing on one of my frogspawn polyps.. it just sort of slimed off.. My cleaner shrimp had a good meal of it.. The dead tissue was gone overnight.. I did a water change of about %20 the next day and haven't seen any more die off.. that was probably almost a month ago.. Since then, the polyp next to it has even plit in to two.

So I'd say get as much dead material off as possible and then water change.. Shouldn't be a problem.. hope I could help..