PDA

View Full Version : Phyto fertilizer

ABreefkpr
02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Is there another fertilizer I could use to culture phytoplankton? Something I might be able to pick up in Edmonton.

michika
02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Have you found anything? I'm actually really curious about doing my own phytoplankton.

ABreefkpr
02-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Nothing yet, I've looked around RC and tried Google but all I've found are places to buy it. No substitutes or formulas but I am still looking and will post what I find. It might be that it will be easier to order it on-line and if that's the case and you want some I could order some for you.

Keith

michika
02-12-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm waiting to get my monster tank (230g) put in before I start doing my own. If your ordering in the next month or so I might be interested!

I think my own research into the topic has turned up just about the same results as you have!

AndyL
02-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Does anyone have the formulation of the fertilizer (NPK ratios, trace elements etc) I'd be willing to bet that a few people here could work out some recipes using "off the shelf" chemicals / hydroponic supplies. You may want to search for "Sears and Conlin PMDD" for some ideas - if it works in planted aquaria for growing plants (and algae in the wrong ratios...) it could probably transfer well to reef useage.

I was reading some info on garf earlier, mentioning they used a "wetlands fertilizer" to grow phyto - might be worth looking into.

Andy

ABreefkpr
02-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I've just really started looking but I did find this. http://www.botany.utoronto.ca/utcc/Culture%20Media.html
Those of you who know/remember their periodic table might be able to get everything that's needed. Could you get everything in small enough volumes.

AndyL
02-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Looked through the first recipe... Not too hard to duplicate with off the shelf stuff and hydroponics supplies.

KH2PO4 - can't think of this off the top of my head... I believe its a pH buffer though - I'll look into it. But they also use -
K2PO4 - Fleet enema from your local drug store.
CaCl2 - calcium chloride - you've probably got this amongst your reefkeeping supplies
NaNO3 - Sodium chloride. Very familiar - can't place it, the NO3 is the important stuff tho - KNO3 is sold at your local home depot for killing tree roots Read the package some are Potasium Nitrate some have more "Stump Away" is pure KNO3. Hydroponics shops also sell it
MgSO4 - Epsom salts (drug store)
NACL - table salt (non iodized)
The rest on that list - will come from a good trace element mix from the hydroponics shop. (some include boron, some don't but boric acid (H3BO3) can be obtained from home depot to prep floors for paint/etc.

Gotta run but if you guys pick out the recipe that works, I've got most of the stuff here to mix it - would be glad to give ya a hand with it.

Andy

AndyL
02-13-2005, 03:31 PM
:rolleyes: Will this one be easy enough for you?
http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html See bottom of page.

:mrgreen:

ABreefkpr
02-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Much better. :biggrin:
I'll keep you posted on how things progress. Thanks Andy.

Keith

Invigor
02-13-2005, 04:13 PM
:rolleyes: Will this one be easy enough for you?
http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html See bottom of page.

:mrgreen:

good ol' marc.

AndyL
02-13-2005, 04:25 PM
If that doesn't work for ya... I've got enough ferts kicking around here from my old planted tank / emersed culturing systems to replicate it Just bring me a liter or so of "mixed" fert (ie what you'd add your culture to).

Andy

ABreefkpr
02-15-2005, 02:23 AM
I picked up some Miracle Grow and some Reef Prime yesterday and set up two 2L bottles. I guess I will see how they turn out. If this doesn't work I'll try something different.

Keith

BCOrchidGuy
02-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Sorry but wouldn't it be more convenient to buy it already made from Reef Crew? I've dealt with them before and they rocked.

Doug

IslandReefer
02-15-2005, 09:53 PM
If I remember right ...miracle grow is blue as a powder.....indicative of CuSO4...not something I want to put in a reef.
Keith can you read your botttle and see?

BCOrchidGuy
02-15-2005, 10:06 PM
I grow orchids as a hobby, I looked through all the various fertilizers I have and all that list all elements have small amounts of copper. 0.05-0.08 that being said alot do not list trace elements etc.
When I was doing planted tanks I found a recipe for plant fertilizer and it was a great idea, everything was available through local hydroponics stores. I did a search on Guillard F2 formula (F2 means half strength) and I found some recipes but they looked hard to do, IE needing precise measuring equipment for the formulations.

Doug

ABreefkpr
02-16-2005, 06:54 AM
John Here's what I found out

http://www.aquaculture-supply.com/partb.pdf
Copper is listed as being present in Florida Aqua-Farms Micro Algae grow and is not listed in the WSDA site for Miracle Grow.
http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/FertDB/Product1.asp?action=ViewTable&ltr=M
I know you might say arsenic :eek: but look at what metals are listed for Micro AG. I'ts probably not the same stuff.
Anyway I have awhile before the culture is ready to research and decide.

Doug I buy Reef Crew product from Big Al's and don't doubt that they are a great products, but convenient. If I can go to the hardware store and buy fert and then to my fridge for Reef Prime, that's convenient. :smile:

I'll give it a try and keep you posted

Keith