PDA

View Full Version : Low/No light corals

AndyL
02-11-2005, 10:09 PM
G'days,

Pondering an idea, and without a fancy encyclopedia of corals, having a tough time...

I'm looking for some basically no light corals - carnation and sun polyps come to mind. I know there are others - anyone have easy access to a list of the more commonly found ones?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Murminator
02-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Have a try

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

StirCrazy
02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
you do realize that they will require daily feeding and sometimes spot feeding to keep them alive.

lot of work to do a tank like that.

Steve

AndyL
02-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, I realize what they'll require... GARF R-C and others have lots of good info on keeping the non photosynthetic corals.

My major concern with the tank setup I'm planning is keeping the nitrates down without needing more than weekly waterchanges...

I'm probably the exception; I like my aquaria hobby for the challenges, not so much for the "Overall beauty", yes I like to sit and relax watching the fishes. But I much prefer to kill 2-3 hours "Tinkering" etc.

Andy

danny zubot
02-12-2005, 05:05 AM
A few feather dusters might do well, mine only comes out at night.

Willow
02-12-2005, 05:16 AM
if you have dirty water stuff like xenia will grow in lower light conditions.

Ryan
02-12-2005, 05:51 AM
Clams dusters carnation. Andy i think everyone likes a challenge just not as hard of one as you may like lol. is this for your small tank or do u have a bigger one.

megatron_55
02-12-2005, 03:22 PM
A few feather dusters might do well, mine only comes out at night.

Ahhh . . . ? They're not corals . . .

But anyhow . . if you want to add color to your tank add orange or blue sponges . . . chili coral (red)? cats paw is cute . . . How about mushrooms? . . . they rely heavily on plankton tho (low or no light corals) so I hope your ready :biggrin: . . .

Ryan
02-12-2005, 04:56 PM
What about them sea squirts i have seen some realy nice colour varyations (sp??) of them.

AndyL
02-12-2005, 08:49 PM
:rolleyes: No not for the 2.75, I'm quite happy with it as is for now.

ABreefkpr
02-13-2005, 05:15 AM
I have a 55 gal tank that I set up to keep things in when I moved three years ago. It has some live rock, two peppermint shrimp, two cleaner shrimp, mushrooms and a lot of worms and pods. I started stocking it with some low light corals recently and they are doing great. I had a carnation shipped DOA but put the(what I thought was)rock into the tank anyway. The carnation is starting to come back it several places and what it was mounted on is some sort of oblong clam.
The point is that I feed a variety of different food, cyclop-eeze, brine and mysis shrimp and lately phytoplankton, and only add water never change. Everything is healthy and thriving. I have a black sun in this tank and a couple chili corals and nitrate levels are minimal. The sun coral is shown in the photo gallery and in the foreground you can see the clam? with the carnation that has just started to grow back.
Best of luck if you set something up for the low light corals. I might be lucky but haven't found it that difficult.

Keith

danny zubot
02-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Megatron said, Ahhh . . . ? They're not corals . . .

I know they aren't corals but they still look nice. :mrgreen:

JohnM99
02-15-2005, 03:01 AM
The Fox Coral = Nemenzophyllia turbida

This will grow in indirect light - in my tank they have shown die back to the shade line - sometimes listed as medium light, or even high light - but do prefer lower light levels. Very nice looking, soft appearing LPS. I wish I had more shade in my tank - it is too bright.

Do a web search - here is a pretty good photo of one I found on Google

http://reefsources.itgo.com/features/gallery/desc/fox.html