PDA

View Full Version : Want an opinion re. placement of overflows

Delphinus
02-11-2005, 09:14 PM
If you were going to put two overflows into a tank ...

would you place the overflows into the corner, knowing that this will lose you some viewing area on the side edges,

or,

would you place the overflows at say the 1/3 and 2/3 points (e.g., on a 6' tank, one centred at 2' and one centred at 4')? You won't lose the viewing edge on the sides, but it's more of a challenge to aquascape.

or,

would you place the overflows in the corners, but go with "cup" style overflows? I.e., the overflow boxes don't go all the way to the bottom. instead of the bottom being drilled, the back glass is drilled. To be honest as a compromise though, I'm not sure if this is the "best" of both worlds or the "worst" of both worlds.

Aquattro
02-11-2005, 09:22 PM
On a 6 foot tank, I'd make one overflow in the centre. You could use 2 holes if you wnated, but I'd go in the centre.

Delphinus
02-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Doh! Ok I'll see if I can add that option to the poll.

Great, more choices. Man I have hard time making decisions....

Delphinus
02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Ok, added. Hmmmm maybe that's a good option. I don't know. I was hoping for two, to really be able to draw off the surface, like the good Mr. Calfo is harping on about these days.

Dang it! Now I need to see pictures of this option now too. Did I mention I'm not really good at making decisions??!

AndyL
02-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I'd definitely keep it out of the corners - that's one setup that always drives me nuckin futz. :biggrin:

The corner overflows have always boggled my mind, why people always choose them is beyond me - it's relatively rare that a tank is only viewed from the front - making that choice rather odd. Suppose it's probably cheaper (1-2 less pieces of glass), and that could explain a lot.

You've probably already chosen your equipment, so sit down with a pad, figure out what will fit best where, and where the overflows would be least obtrusive. There's any number of possibilities, but try to make the overflows work best for you - no point having to work around them at this stage.

Some reading on the planted tank forums about "The golden rule" and other basic aquascaping principles. They can give you some valuable insight about rock placement/layout and what will look good with the choices you do end up making.

Andy

danny zubot
02-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I chose the corners because of the way I would aqauscape a rectangular tank. I'd pile the rock right up to the top on both sides for coral placement, you won't even see the overflows. Then you have two sides to the tank for various types of sps and lps with an open beach area in the middle.

Willow
02-11-2005, 10:57 PM
i still say coast to coast

medican
02-11-2005, 11:18 PM
WELL>>>>>>if it were up to me :rolleyes:

I would grind out an inch(I think,maybe more) about 1-1.5ft wide top centre of the tank and put an outside overflow on the tank.....maybe 2 2" bulkheads there. nothing to interfear with the tank..........

thats about 2 cents worth.... :razz:

Richard

mr_alberta
02-12-2005, 03:26 AM
i still say coast to coast

Ditto.

geeeman
02-12-2005, 02:39 PM
I would go with something like this
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=354940

I have a corner one on my tank and if I could do it again I would go with one in the center. You would be able to hide it with aquascaping plus I find the corner one to be noisy no matter what I do. I think that if the overflow is surounded by water on 3 side it would help as an sound insulator

Tarolisol
02-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I dont really like the center overflows, they just seem to be right in the way of everything. A large recatngle in the middle of your tank just doesnt seem right to me. I like the traditional style, but then again i only view my tank from the front.

StirCrazy
02-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I would do what they are calling a "coast to coast" overflow. It is being done like crazy in Seattle area on acrylic tanks but I can't see why it wouldent work good on a glass tank. Here is a pic of one in a tank.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=478

Steve

Vagabond
02-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I am with Willow and Stir Crazy.

Coast to coast - leaves you all the aquascaping possibilities and unobstructed 3 sided viewing without the potential structural integrity concerns of an external overflow :cool: .

JohnM99
02-12-2005, 05:36 PM
What do you think about coast to coast, but with the drains drilled in the back rather than the bottom? Have to have space behind the tank, but if you do, that would be really good.

I also think the "spillway" could be improved upon to silence it - instead of a sheer drop, something to break up the flow without ending up as junk trap would be good.

StirCrazy
02-12-2005, 08:22 PM
What do you think about coast to coast, but with the drains drilled in the back rather than the bottom? Have to have space behind the tank, but if you do, that would be really good.

I also think the "spillway" could be improved upon to silence it - instead of a sheer drop, something to break up the flow without ending up as junk trap would be good.

it would be good with either bottom or back. I have heard them in person they are not loud at all, it all depends on how you have your durso's set up and to what level you are holding the water level inside the coast to coast. personally I would not use teeth on the top as I like the solid overflows better for both quietness and reliability.

Steve

Tarolisol
02-12-2005, 09:52 PM
The coast to coast looks interesting, but it looks to me like it would be hella loud. All that water falling over the back, Just seems like a waste of space you dont need an overflow that big.

StirCrazy
02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
The coast to coast looks interesting, but it looks to me like it would be hella loud. All that water falling over the back, Just seems like a waste of space you dont need an overflow that big.

you didn't read my last post did ya :mrgreen:

actualy having a overflow that big is efficient as it allows a larger surface skimming action. is it needed, not realy but it also provides a track to hide return piping in also if you think about it.

Steve

rockworm
02-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Like reef-raf mentioned, I would go with centre overflow. I built my overflow and rather than having square corners, I angled them back to the tank at 45 degrees. It has a nicer look then the square corners.

Also during the day, the cleaner shrimp set up a station under it and the tangs visit regularly.

Tarolisol
02-13-2005, 11:22 PM

you didn't read my last post did ya :mrgreen:

actualy having a overflow that big is efficient as it allows a larger surface skimming action. is it needed, not realy but it also provides a track to hide return piping in also if you think about it.

Steve

Ah yes i should read more, I like the idea of hiding the pipes in it. But still i think it would be really loud even with a stand pipe of somesort.

muck
02-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Ah yes i should read more, I like the idea of hiding the pipes in it. But still i think it would be really loud even with a stand pipe of somesort.
I think it would be less loud actually, as the same amount of water is spread out over a greater area. With the dursos in the overflow the water will only fall a couple of inches. With less flow per inch it will probably just run down the other side of the glass and make no noise at all.

Tarolisol
02-14-2005, 12:08 AM
I think it would be less loud actually, as the same amount of water is spread out over a greater area. With the dursos in the overflow the water will only fall a couple of inches. With less flow per inch it will probably just run down the other side of the glass and make no noise at all.

Well i guess only time will tell. :cool:

Invigor
02-14-2005, 01:03 AM
hmm that coast to coast looks really cool