PDA

View Full Version : It's hot pink, what is it?

Willow
02-11-2005, 04:01 PM
ok the system has been running with salt for less than 2 weeks. a few days ago i notice that there is a wee bit of "pink' substance growing on the silicone in the fuge section of the sump. yesterday i added 70lbs of live rock to the display. this morning i check on things and notice that the pink as grown quite a lot overnight. it seems to be covering or starting to cover all the silicone in the fuge area of the sump. i leave the area light 24/7 with a 18 watt cf bulb.

does this look like cyno? how could it grow that fast in a new setup? what would have introduced it?

http://www.mayberryhq.com/images/otis/p1.jpg

http://www.mayberryhq.com/images/otis/p3.jpg

Bob I
02-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Looks suspiciously like Cyano to me. Nothing introduces it, it starts on its own :mad:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Yup, my vote is cyano. Sorry buddy. Hope we're wrong.

Anthony

Willow
02-11-2005, 04:58 PM
i think it's because the low area of the fuge gets little circulation, the water flows mostly over the mid and top section. i guess i better add a small powerhead down there. that should fix it right? just say yes, i need a little hug :cry:

BCWolfen
02-11-2005, 04:59 PM
yes? :eek:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Come over to OA on Sunday pm & I'll get Jack to give you a hug :lol: :lol:

If he won't, I'll give you one if you promise not to give me cooties. :lol:

Zerandise
02-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Im sure Jack will go for it. He looks like the snuggling type! :lol:

danny zubot
02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
You are so lucky! You have the oportunity to get rid of it before your tank even matures. Better to get it now than when your tank is packed with corals. IMO you should treat it right away!

powerboy
02-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Was your silicone completely cured before you let salt water get to it? Ive seen salt water do some weird things to uncured silicone. If its just on the surface of it, then its probably cyano, but to me it looks like its "in" the silicone. Try rubbing it off with a finger.

I had made a refugium in a sump in the past, thought I had fully cured the silicone, exposed it to salt water and had a similar effect. It did go away however.

Whatever it is, I hope you find it and destroy! :biggrin:

Willow
02-12-2005, 12:58 AM
it was cured for a few weeks before it saw any water. then it went for a week in ro water. it should have been cured by then hey?