PDA

View Full Version : Live sand

Murminator
02-11-2005, 04:52 AM
How long with it stay "live" in a bucket? under about 6 inches of water no light or heat. There is a rock in there with it covered in feather dusters and a few are still open can't say the same for bristle stars :neutral:
I know the "live" sand you buy in the store can stay for a long time.

Willow
02-11-2005, 05:37 AM
the stuff in the bag packed with water is good for a year. its sealed tho so i dunno about in a bucket.

StirCrazy
02-11-2005, 12:52 PM
the live sand you buy in the store is sand with bacteria only, I would hardly call this live sand. If you take dead sand and put it in a bucket of water with a dead shrimp, heat, and circulation for a couple days it will be just as live as what they are selling in the stores :rolleyes:

with out heat and circulation no sand will stay live very long.

Steve

danny zubot
02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
If its going to be in the bucket for more than a day or two you might as well rinse it out because it will only start to stink up the place. It will probly be really rich in NH4 by the time you use it again.

Murminator
02-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Well I dumped it in it smells like rotten eggs... added water and heat and lights.... and the bistle stars and worms roamed free again and a nass. snail popped up for about 2 mins and back under he went. So I will wait a few days and test it see what becomes.

danny zubot
02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I really do hate that smell. :rolleyes: Are you adding any live rock yet?