PDA

View Full Version : Moving day for the fish

ken0042
02-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, moving day is coming up again. Last time was almost a disaster, so I'm trying to make this one better. I was hoping to get some tips from some of you who've done this before.

For fish, I have a Rainbow shark who's about 3 inches long now, 9 tetras, a pleco, and a couple of clams. They are in a 25 gallon tank. I also have a 10 gallon tank that I use to get water prepped for changes.

Last move I took about 7 gallons of water out of the big tank and put in into the smaller one; so most of the water would be the fish's own. They lived in the smaller tank for about 10 days while I moved my stuff and got their big tank set up again. Where the disaster almost happened was when I went to move them, I took about 6 gallons out of the tank, and took the tank to the new place. I was unaware of just how much sloshing there would be. At one point in the 2 km trip the shark went flying, and I caught him with my bare hand and threw him back into the tank. I'm pretty sure he didn't enjoy that. :eek:

So, this time I was thinking of buying brand new Rubbermaid containers to put the fish into; filling the containers almost full and putting lids on them.

My questions for you guys are:
-What do you think of my Rubbermaid plan? Or am I better to visit the pet store and get some bags from them.
- Should I try and keep as much of their water for them, so they won't be shocked by fresh stuff?

Ryan
02-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Well as long as you aged your water and heated it to the same temp it should be fine just drip new water into the tank allowing the fish to get used to it. Then simply move them into the rubbermaid container. Make sure you have an airstone going though and if they are in there for moe than 2 hours make sure u have a heater going too. I would move them to the ten gallon a few days before. This will allow you to set up the bigger tank and have everything stable. also one thing take he filter media and put it with your fish this will keep your benificial bacteria alive. DONT feed the fish for a few days before either they will be fine. Their waste will create ammonia spikes which will kill them.

Beverly
02-10-2005, 08:02 PM
I've moved marine fish in 5g pails with lids. Worked well, pails were not too heavy and there was not much splashing, especially if they're not filled to the brim.

How far are you moving them?

Ryan
02-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Splashing is good adds air to the watter you just dont want too much

ken0042
02-10-2005, 08:22 PM
They are being moved within the city; about 15km. A good portion of it will be on Deerfoot (the major freeway here).

They shouldn't be out of a filtered tank system for more than an hour; should I still refrain from feeding them before?

Ryan
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
ya definatly. When i brought my discus home from calgary there was amonia in the bag and they wernt feed all day. I wouldnt feed them 2 or 3 days prior.

muck
02-10-2005, 08:33 PM
If its only for an hour no worries. I wouldn't worry too much about not feeding them. I would feed as normal. If anything don't feed them that day until settled into the new tank.

I would do exactly what you did last time except when you transport the fish use a bucket or a tub with a lid on it. Then you won't have to worry about fish jumping out and water splashing all over the place.

A month ago I helped a buddy move his tanks and we used 5Gal buckets with lids. The fish were even in the buckets for a couple hours before being placing back into a tank setup. No problems and no deaths.

ken0042
02-10-2005, 08:53 PM
I appreciate all the advice, everybody. These guys are my pets; I imagine many of you feel the same way. It's not a factor of cost of replacement; it's a matter of taking care of them.

muck
02-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Good luck with the move!! :biggrin:

ken0042
02-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions. The move went well; nobody died. The Black Skirt Tetra was extremelly freaky about the whole situation; which is kinda funny because he was one of the the only 2 fish who had been through this before. (Yes, I know fish don't have good memories.) The shark on the other hand had me chase him around the tank once, and then as I was thinking up my next move he just swam into the net on his own and just sat there.

I think they are a lot happier being back home again.