PDA

View Full Version : ok, just need alittle help

littleboyblue16
02-10-2005, 05:39 AM
ok, I need just a little bit of help, this darn red algae is taking over my tank, I have cleaned and clean, and it goes away then all the sudden comes back and takes over and I clean and clean again, any certain way of getting rid of this stuff for good? I took some pictures of it, but on my friend’s camera, so she has to load them onto her computer, so tomorrow they should be up and you can get what I mean on what kind of algae it is. but anything is good right now as for what you can tell me.

Invigor
02-10-2005, 05:44 AM
probably cyano...if you get the 2005 annual reef magazine (has mandarine dragonettes on the cover) they have a 3-4 page article on it...it takes a while to go away on it's own..just be persistant, do nice frequent water changes sucking out as much as you can...it's a PITA (pain in the ass) but it should go away on it's own as long as you stay on it!

hope this helps!

if you want a quick fix that's somewhat detrimental to your system, search big al's for "red slime remover" works like a darn. comes in a blue box. it smokes off quite a bit of benificial bacteria while it's at it, but definately shows that red slime who's boss.

littleboyblue16
02-10-2005, 05:47 AM
i will have to pick up that mag. other then that, i rather not use any stuff to todally kill it away, i just thought someone who would know a fish that would get rid of it, its going all over my mushrooms and my leather, i hate that looks nasty lol

littleboyblue16
02-10-2005, 06:46 AM
ok got the pictures theres just 2, sorry there kind of bad, but hey it gets the point across. i am also going to post the other pictures of my tank i took, and in some of the other pictures you can just see how bad it is
http://members.shaw.ca/mikeandmatt/salt/tank13.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/mikeandmatt/salt/tank12.jpg

mr_alberta
02-10-2005, 06:58 AM
That is Cyano. Try upping the flow in those areas to see if it helps.

littleboyblue16
02-10-2005, 07:02 AM
yeah i tried, the only thing that has worked for is my finger coral, that loves it lol

Keen
02-10-2005, 07:35 PM
yeah i tried, the only thing that has worked for is my finger coral, that loves it lol

Do you have a protein skimmer on your tank? i had a bad cyano prob too, and when i purchased my protein skimmer, it helped it alot. and when you say you have flow in your tank, how much do you have? in my 33gal, i have a protein skimmer, power filter and 2 power heads. it seems to be just the perfect amount of flow.

littleboyblue16
02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
i don't have one yet, i do plann on getting one, but i have no money the river is dry! lol

i got good flow 2 fluvals, and 2 powerheads

Richer
02-10-2005, 11:12 PM
What are the nutrient levels in your tank?

-Rich

G1GY
02-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Do you use ro/di water?

Using ro/di water might help a little.

Edmonton Eskimo
02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
I had a cyano problem on my tank and I used chemi clean. I first figured out why(insufficient flow) then I syphoned most of it out and then dosed with chemi clean and no cyano since. I know a lot of aquarists don't like using chemicals but this stuff is non toxic to anything you might have in your tank and this stuff really works.

littleboyblue16
02-11-2005, 05:37 AM
i do used ro/di water

my level of nutrients are just were they are supose to be

i am going to try all these differnt things

Van down by the river
02-11-2005, 06:42 AM
my level of nutrients are just were they are supose to be

If this was true, this post would never have started.

littleboyblue16
02-11-2005, 03:18 PM
well i tested and its correct so yeah whatever :D

muck
02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
How about posting your test results...

Nemain
02-11-2005, 05:03 PM
with that much cyano... wouldnt the tests come back ok? I mean.. the cyano is living off it yes? So the more nutrients, the more the cyano can eat....

diligence, and try red slime remover then diligence some more... what about your lighting?