PDA

View Full Version : New set up

Reefhawk1
02-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I have finally finished setting up my 180 gallon and I am looking for some mother colonies of LPS and SPS corals. If anyone has any for sale please let me know.

Stan

ree-fready
02-10-2005, 03:26 AM
It`s a bit early to be loading it up with corals just yet isn`t it? I think I would give it some time.jmho

Reefhawk1
02-10-2005, 04:22 AM
No it actually was up and running two months ago. All of my frags and other corals plus fish are doing excellent.

Ryan
02-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Juast wondering why do you want mother colonies. Cnt you take a frag and make your own?

danny zubot
02-10-2005, 03:48 PM
I've got a yellow zoo rock about the size of a softball, is that mother enough? I'll give it to you if you come and get it!

mr_alberta
02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Some people don't like the look of frags all over the place in tanks (especially big tanks like a 180). They also might not want to wait the 1 or 2 years before a frag will turn into a decent sized colony.

Willow
02-10-2005, 03:58 PM
frags are nice but you need a some big pieces to make it look nice.

danny zubot
02-10-2005, 06:22 PM
I think frags are what this hobby is all about. it gives me great satisfaction watching things grow and mature in my tank.
The object of the game here is not to rob the ocean of mother colonies, but to try and preserve and learn about it.

monza
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I have a basket ball sized moti cap greenish- yellow with a gold rim I might sell if your interested just PM me.

Dave

ABreefkpr
02-10-2005, 11:54 PM
I have a large hydnophora 8" to 10" round. Very impressive and still growing.

Keith

Reefhawk1
02-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Some people don't like the look of frags all over the place in tanks (especially big tanks like a 180). They also might not want to wait the 1 or 2 years before a frag will turn into a decent sized colony.

You are exactly right, I am looking to fill the voids in my tank with some large corals. I will still pick up frags as I go but The look of large thriving corals waving in the current is what I have always wanted in my tank.

Stan

megatron_55
02-11-2005, 04:32 AM
I think frags are what this hobby is all about. it gives me great satisfaction watching things grow and mature in my tank.
The object of the game here is not to rob the ocean of mother colonies, but to try and preserve and learn about it.

I totally agree dawg! . . . Standing ovation for that one :biggrin:

adidas
02-11-2005, 05:36 AM
I've got a yellow zoo rock about the size of a softball, is that mother enough? I'll give it to you if you come and get it!

hey what do you want for that Zoo rock? i'll buy it.

:biggrin:

StirCrazy
02-11-2005, 12:59 PM

well I will differ on this one, frags are cool and it is cheep but thats about it. the name of the game on this one is what ever the individual thinks looks good. If you don't like the look of frags you buy bigger ones, if you don't mind sticks then you start that way or you might do a combination of both.

I bet if anyone here does some real sole searching they will have to admit that if they were at a store and a blue tort frag was 80 bucks but a 10" mother colony was 85 bucks (and if you had the room) I bet 99% of the people would buy the mother colony. frags are for saving money in an expensive hobby.

Steve

Reefhawk1
02-11-2005, 01:58 PM
PM's have been sent.

Stan

Cap'n
02-12-2005, 03:03 AM
I'm with Danny on this issue. If I have the choice between a full grown fish-I-need-to-have or a youngster, I'll take the little guy. There's a sense of pride and a real attachment to something you have nursed and studied as it grows to adulthood. And if I could get one that came from a breeder instead of plucked from the ocean, perfect!

I would choose fry as I would choose frags.

Bob I
02-12-2005, 04:11 AM
I'm with Danny on this issue. If I have the choice between a full grown fish-I-need-to-have or a youngster, I'll take the little guy. There's a sense of pride and a real attachment to something you have nursed and studied as it grows to adulthood. And if I could get one that came from a breeder instead of plucked from the ocean, perfect!

I would choose fry as I would choose frags.

That is fine, but you are trying to force your OPINION on someone else. That is not what it is all about. If someone wants a mother colony that is their right. :rolleyes:

ABreefkpr
02-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Did you find some mother colonies Stan?

Keith

Reefhawk1
02-13-2005, 08:56 PM
No I haven't found any mother colonies yet. I am also looking for some frags of sps or lps. Encrusting Montipora would be nice as well.

Stan

rusty
02-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Encrusting Montipora would be nice as well.
do you have a pic of what this looks like because I have an encrusting coral that I don't know what it is. I did post a pic of it before :biggrin:
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14120