PDA

View Full Version : dead dt's?

reefnut
02-10-2005, 12:17 AM
on the bottle it says that dead phyto has a extremely strong smell.my last bottle didnt really smell at all but this new bottle has a fairly srtong rotten egg smell.the bottle doesnt expire for another six weeks.should i throw it out and by another bottle or is it still usefull to my corals?

monza
02-10-2005, 12:25 AM
I tried DT's only once it smelled so bad from day one I only added it a few times and then tossed it. I assumed it was bad and adding smelly dead stuff to my tank didn't seem like a good idea.

Dave

dirtyreefer
02-10-2005, 12:51 AM
yup smelly DT's is usually gone bad

sumpfinfishe
02-10-2005, 03:17 AM
As mentioned, it sounds like your DT's is done. Do you keep it in the fridge after opening a new bottle.
I was using DT's for some time until I threw out a large bottle for the same reason, now I only buy Liquid Life Bio Plankton as it is sold frozen and is kept frozen for a much longer shelf life :biggrin:

reefnut
02-10-2005, 03:46 AM
actually i just opened this bottle and yes i keep it in the fridge.the expiry dat is 04/15/05.hopefully they will exchange it for another bottle.havent heard of the frozen stuff yet.id like to try that how do you add it to your tank?

sumpfinfishe
02-10-2005, 03:54 AM
The frozen Liquid Life is available at J&L's, it's easy to dose as it doesn't freeze to a solid it's more like a paste. One squirt in a dish with a few squirt's of tank water and mix for 10secs and it's ready for the tank.

megatron_55
02-11-2005, 02:39 AM
Hey reefnut . . .u prolly bought your dt's at King eds . . . I have the same one with same expiry date ...Mine smells like rotten egg too! :eek: I still use mine tho' and its not doing my tank an harm . . . so far :eek: Anyhow . .I think this would be my last bottle tho as I am switching to Tahitian Blend (Ocean aquatics) :biggrin: