PDA

View Full Version : Shy Shrimp

doch
02-09-2005, 10:49 PM
So I recently picked up some Fire Shrimp... and have noticed them to be VERY reclusive. Is this the case with them all the time, or do they come out of their shells (excuse the choice of expression) after acclimating to the tank? I have read that they tend to be pretty shy, but they have both picked a spot in the deepest, darkest, make me climb around a bunch of stuff to get to that side of the tank to see if they're still alive (gasp!) spot that there is. They are so nice... I just hope that they'll come out eventually!

Zerandise
02-09-2005, 11:00 PM
I only have 1 fire shrinp in my tank right now. He comes out about 1 time a month. The rest of the time he is totaly hidden. from what i have read the come out more when in groups.

doch
02-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I read that too, which is why I bought two... of course is two enough of a group for them to be brave? I guess only time will tell.

Delphinus
02-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Never tried fire shrimp, but I've noticed that with their close cousins, the peppermints and scarlet cleaners, two will be bolder than one by itself, but nowhere near as boisterous as four or more. But I hear fire shrimp are REALLY shy, so who knows.

roverT
02-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I had two fire shrimp a while ago and after about 2-3 months they came out more and more to the point where I could see them almost all the time

doch
02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Well that's good to hear! Hopefully mine end up brave like yours!

kari
02-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Had one for several years and you need to look hard to find it. The cleaners however are always in the way whenever I try to do anything in the tank. I seems I need to be cleaned.

Rikko
02-10-2005, 01:15 AM
That's pretty much how they usually are. I got a couple of really large ones that are all over (especially feeding time), but the smaller ones I got stick to themselves a lot. Luckily the home they picked is under a torch branch so it's pretty easy to spot them even though they feel hidden.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Try target feeding your fire shrimp by squirting some mysis (or whatever you use) in the open very near them. After a while, all my shrimps (cleaners, fire, & peppermint) come out when its feeding time.

JME

Anthony

sumpfinfishe
02-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Fire shrimp along with cleaners and other members of the shrimp family are more active during the night as they are semi noctournal. So if your shrimp stay hidden within the rockwork throughout the day and then come out at night, no alarm as this is perfectly normal. As mentioned above, feeding will eventually bring them out and about for a short period of each the day.
I did a night dive in Mexico once and was amazed by the army of shrimps I saw patrolling the sea floor :eek:

Ryan
02-10-2005, 03:16 AM
I've noticed that with their close cousins, the peppermints and scarlet cleaners, two will be bolder than one by itself, but nowhere near as boisterous as four or more. .

Maybe you can use this as an excuse to get two more :lol:

You can pick up those night viewing lights for reptiles. I use them on my tank to see my clown loaches. You can use them if you dont like the moon lights they are pretty bright on a small tank.

danny zubot
02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I guess I take the tuff love aproach with my shrimp. If they want food they'll have to come out and get it, I haven't lost one to starvation yet. I usualy only get to view mine at night too.

BMW Rider
02-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I have 3 peppermint shrimp that always hide under the same rock all day long, they sometimes get brave enough to venture out to grab a morsel of food at feedings, but otherwise they stay put as long as the lights are on. Once the lights are off though, they are all over the rockwork looking for snacks.

muck
02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Im very happy that I got a pair of skunk cleaners...
They are always out in the open and cruising the rock work.
Everytime I have my hand in the tank doing anything, they scoot over and jump on it.
It seems to be a favorite of theirs hitching a ride while im replacing that frag that got knocked over. :rolleyes:

I would never not have these guys in my tank!! :cool:

Delphinus
02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
I feel the same way. And actually after having 4 (and having had pairs in the past), I'd never not have a small group. It's really quite neat to watch these guys. For bugs, they have very defined social group structures.

Bob I
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
For bugs, they have very defined social group structures.

Well now. :razz: They are crustaceans, but not bugs. Bugs actually belong to the order Heteroptera, which I have only encountered on land. :rolleyes:

I have had similar findings with shrimp. I have found Skunk Cleaners to be the least reclusive. I have a Golden Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus zanzibaricus) that I never see unless I look behind the rocks through the side of the tank. :eek:

Delphinus
02-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Good grief Bob. They're bugs. Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs.

Just like you. :rolleyes: Order Wiseassimus poopheadita shutupitis. Encountered both on land and on line.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Good grief Bob. They're bugs. Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs.

Just like you. :rolleyes: Order Wiseassimus poopheadita shutupitis. Encountered both on land and on line.

Game. Set. Match to Delphinus!

Sorry Bob. I think he set you up for that one :splat: :lol: