PDA

View Full Version : open brain

snaggle
02-08-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a red open brain. it fell down last night so when I picked it up I touched to soft parts of it. today when I looked at it the red part was hard :eek: I have never noticed this befor. I am wondering if I killed it or this is normal?

Brad

StirCrazy
02-09-2005, 12:54 AM
most likely it is just retracted where you touched it. if that spot is dead you will soon see algae growing there.

Steve

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-09-2005, 04:14 AM
If the red flesh is still there, it should still be alive. LPS just don't like to be abused like that. Highly suggest placing it where it can't get knocked over & then leave it alone because a couple of falls is all it takes to make it go bye-bye. (I had a large maroon clown female whose fav. hobby was practicing for the Olympic coral toss - the $20 fish cost me $140 in LPS :evil: :mad: )

JME

Anthony

danny zubot
02-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't know if brains are remotely close to candy corals as far as recovery but if they are it should come back. I'm always picking up my green candy corals off the bottom, sometimes they get damaged to the point of showing the skeleton. They always grow back though.

BMW Rider
02-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Open Brain Corals are best placed on the sand bed which is where they are found naturally. That way they are not prone to damage from falls and or expanding against rough rock work. Just make sure that it is not in a location where it will get loose sand deposited onto it regularly either by fish sand sifters or water currents.

doch
02-09-2005, 10:52 PM
I had a large maroon clown female whose fav. hobby was practicing for the Olympic coral toss

Too funny. Sorry man!

danny zubot
02-10-2005, 02:13 PM
I had a couple of tourbon snails that did that too, RIP tourbon snails! :evil: