PDA

View Full Version : Orchid Dottybacks

doch
02-08-2005, 06:07 PM
So.... once again, getting conflicting info on the reef compatibility of a fish. I love the looks of the Orchid and Strawberry Dottyback but am leary. I have heard the Straws to be the worse of the two. Big Als is telling me no prob... they won't touch your shrimp... and they have one in a tank to prove it, but a lot of sites claim them to be very aggressive towards shrimp. I have heard the Straws to be the worse of the two -too bad they are the cheaper ones!!! I now have 2 (IMO expensive) Fire Shrimp that I would like not to get eaten. Anyone have the 2 or similar coexisting?

Ryan
02-08-2005, 06:16 PM
A girl that works at my LFS has one in her tank and it has taken out all of her fish and wont let any new ones in there. That is a 33 gallon tank though. There is a book that has just been put out on breeding and keeping these fish i would go to your library and see if they can get it for ya.

AJ_77
02-08-2005, 07:26 PM
We have a Strawberry Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis porphyreus) which is sometimes confused with, and even substituted for, the Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani).

Have read once that the Strawberry is the more aggressive of the two, but can't tell by this one - not a problem getting along at all, and with a small Cleaner Shrimp in the same 29gal tank for a few months.

I think it would be a problem with similar small fish, but with a dwarf angel and a tang, there's really nobody to fight. I'd describe it as "intent but peaceful."

Marcus K
02-08-2005, 09:01 PM
I've have a Strawberry for a couple of months now. Just starting to get use to me being in the room and will now come out of the LR and swim up to see me. Very nice addition, does not bother my large cleaner shrimp or my two very tiny sexy shrimp.

Marcus

sumpfinfishe
02-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Doch'
Well dottybacks in general can aggressive depending on there environment and the fish itself. I would suggest not getting one, why take the chance when you have a couple of $30-$40 shrimp that you don't want to loose :exclaim:

danny zubot
02-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Big Als is telling me no prob... they won't touch your shrimp :evil: I've lost more fish by listening to them.

If its the strawberry pseudochromis you are thining about getting they should be fine with fire shrimp. Smaller lanky shrimp might temp it though. I had one for a long time with a banded coral shrimp and they were fine. Other tank inhabitants with it inlcuded, damsels, clowns, manderine and a heniocus.

PS. Their color drives cats crazy under actinics.