PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Choice - SPS

Scales
02-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I need some input for a light purchase....I have researched lighting for my tank upgrade....likely to be a 180 (72x24x24), 3 sided viewing "format", SPS tank requiring 3 MH lights (I plan to supplement with (2x) 6 foot VHO Actinics). I currently have a PFO system (2x250W)...one of the 250W will be used to light the area of the tank with the overflow and wavebox (the other 250W will be used on a small clam tank beside the SPS tank).

For the remaining two MH lights, I have tentatively "decided" on a dual PFO 400W HQI ballast running SE 10K Ushio's...I concede that I am no "expert" in this area, and while researching found my brain going numb from the comparison studies/arguments...information overload....

I know there are many whom possesss far more insight into this area....so critique away....before I purchase something that I will later be told was a bad idea....

Cheers.

AJ_77
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Go visit someone who is doing something similar with their own tank, and see what is working for them, and how it looks to you. If you like it, and the tank impresses you, then do that. :cool: ("________ is the sincerest form of flattery.") Hint: imitation. :biggrin:

Pretty simple. Not to be a smartass, but that's about all there is to it, once you've gone numb from all the research.

Even better, if you have few "friends" whose tanks are kind of similar to what you want, it's handy to be able to keep an eye on their progress over time, noting what they like and don't like about their lighting, bulb choices, and the problems they might have had, etc...

Stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before you. :biggrin:

EmilyB
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before you. :biggrin:

Plus then you stand a good chance of getting everything half price :lol: :razz:

AJ_77
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
:mrgreen:

Did I forget to mention that? :wink:

Chin_Lee
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
to see my tank. i have 165 gallon tank (66x24x24) three sided viewing lighted by 3x250 (ishio/sun aquatic/ushio) and 2x5' VHO super atinics.
i live in surrey around 144th and 72 ave.
cwlee

danny zubot
02-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Alan said: if you have few "friends" whose tanks are kind of similar to what you want, it's handy to be able to keep an eye on their progress over time,
I agree! make your friends be the guiny pigs! :mrgreen: :razz:

StirCrazy
02-09-2005, 12:53 AM
you have a 24" deep tank. in my humble opinion 400's are a waist of power and heat in this depth and you can get just as much if not more bang for your buck running 250 watt SE bulbs on tar HQI ballasts.

another thing to conceder is there is no such thin g as a 400 watt HQI ballast, it is a son Agro ballast used for running mercury vapor bulbs that happen to run 400 watt MH bulbs but they over drive the bulb by about 30 watts causing a shorter life span. a real 250 watt HQI ballast does not over drive the 250 watt bulb but rather runs it to proper design specs for the European bulb design which results in a longer bulb life from my experience..

So my recommendation would be 3 HQI 250 watt ballasts running something like AB 10000K, or SA 10000K bulbs as these two have higher outputs than the other ones I have seen. the AB is actually a true 13K bulbs and it has an ice blue color and the SA are a 10000K bulb with a tint of green or yellow that you can't see if you are running actinic.

Steve

Chin_Lee
02-09-2005, 01:36 AM
So my recommendation would be 3 HQI 250 watt ballasts running something like AB 10000K, or SA 10000K bulbs as these two have higher outputs than the other ones I have seen. the AB is actually a true 13K bulbs and it has an ice blue color and the SA are a 10000K bulb with a tint of green or yellow that you can't see if you are running actinic. Steve

Steve
where can I get AB bulbs locally?

StirCrazy
02-09-2005, 03:05 AM
http://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_product.php?product=LT-AB76251

Steve

AJ_77
02-09-2005, 04:18 AM
you have a 24" deep tank. in my humble opinion 400's are a waist of power and heat in this depth and you can get just as much if not more bang for your buck running 250 watt SE bulbs on tar HQI ballasts.
What if he had a 20" water depth and ran the bulbs 12" above, because he got a really good deal on the dual 400W setup? Still too much?

Or maybe too wasteful? Or just good planning for the inevitable upgrade to the 72x30x30... yeah, that's the ticket... :cool:

Samw
02-09-2005, 04:36 AM
So my recommendation would be 3 HQI 250 watt ballasts running something like AB 10000K, or SA 10000K bulbs as these two have higher outputs than the other ones I have seen. the AB is actually a true 13K bulbs and it has an ice blue color and the SA are a 10000K bulb with a tint of green or yellow that you can't see if you are running actinic. Steve

Steve

If you don't mind mail-ordering (always a risk) best price I've found so far is:

http://www.canadianmarineaquariumsupply.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16240&cat=341&page=1

Shipping might even be free.

StirCrazy
02-09-2005, 12:55 PM
What if he had a 20" water depth and ran the bulbs 12" above, because he got a really good deal on the dual 400W setup? Still too much?

Or maybe too wasteful? Or just good planning for the inevitable upgrade to the 72x30x30... yeah, that's the ticket... :cool:

Air doesn't reduce the light output near what water does. so even 12" above the surface I would still recommend 250's but like you said if you get a screaming deal on 400's well I am always for saving money.

Steve

robert
02-16-2005, 07:13 AM

Steve

If you don't mind mail-ordering (always a risk) best price I've found so far is:

http://www.canadianmarineaquariumsupply.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16240&cat=341&page=1

Shipping might even be free.

I mailed ordered bulbs from them with no problems. Packaging is excellent and price is even better :biggrin: