PDA

View Full Version : Water change time

G1GY
02-08-2005, 04:37 AM
This is going to sound kind of strange, but here I go anyways.

I always do my water changes during the daytime which is a bit of a PITA because I function way better at around 3:00 am.

Just wondering if it would be way more stressfull on my critters for me to do my water changes at night?

Anyone ever done this? Or does this now?

Any input would be appreciated. :smile:

*EDIT*

I screwed up when putting the poll info in and now I can't seem to edit it. :redface:

I suck @ internet!

snaggle
02-08-2005, 04:39 AM
dont think it maters at what time day or night as long as you use the sump and not the main tank. just my $0.02 on this one though.

Brad

G1GY
02-08-2005, 04:43 AM
dont think it maters at what time day or night as long as you use the sump and not the main tank. just my $0.02 on this one though.

Brad

Don't have a sump.

Azilla
02-08-2005, 04:47 AM
I do mine at night. But then again i have a sump

muck
02-08-2005, 05:03 AM
HaHa I just had to pick the second choice... :razz:

How big of water changes are you talking about..??

G1GY
02-08-2005, 05:11 AM
HaHa I just had to pick the second choice... :razz:

How big of water changes are you talking about..??

Around 15%.

wayner
02-08-2005, 05:13 AM
I find it better if you just don't do them. :smile:

G1GY
02-08-2005, 05:15 AM

Bob....is that you? :lol:

megatron_55
02-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Quick question ppl . . . I do my water changes (at night time by the way . . . an hour b4 lights out) But anyhow . . . My tank is 27gal mixed reef . . . I think its 36x12x12) I have a 12 gallon custom refugium... Now when I do water changes, should I just syphon the gravel from the refugium or should i syphon both the refugium and the main tank??? Alot of people suggested that I should just syphon the gravel from the refugium to decrease the stess on my fish in the main tank? Any input peeps would help ... THANKS!!!

EmilyB
02-08-2005, 07:56 AM

You obviously don't have a large bioload then...:wink:

Gary, I wouldn't stress fish after lights out, just my motherly instincts and no scientific data on that one. :mrgreen:

Beverly
02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
No sump, BBs in our three tanks. Do water changes and other tank maintenance during the day so the fish are freaked out less than doing them when they are sleeping. Plus, daylight really helps out while doing the whole process.

BMW Rider
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I usually end up doing mine in the morning shortly after the lights have come on. Not for any reason other than this seems to be the best time of day for me to get it done.

Delphinus
02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
My options are "it doesn't matter" or the second one, which must imply that it DOES matter, but no choices to indicate which one ?????? :confused: :razz: :lol:

Well, seeing as I can't vote for either option then, I'll add my two bits to the commentary without voting.

I'm with Deb: I don't like disturbing the tank inhabitants at night unless it's serious. Sometime fish can get VERY distressed when disturbed at night. I try to avoid even having the room light on after tank lights-out.

danny zubot
02-08-2005, 04:15 PM
you had to know that most people will choose the latter of the questions just because they can! :mrgreen:

G1GY
02-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Well I stopped myself from doing the water change during my normal daytime hours (3:00 am), and woke up in the middle of my night to do it. (9:30 am) :biggrin:

I don't know how the rest of you do this "awake during the day" thing.

Very strange indeed! :eek:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-08-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm also a night owl, so I usually do mine around midnight or 1am, but that's when I've finally finished editing papers. Besides, my fish operate on my schedule, which means waking up late (9 or 10 am), & going to bed late (1 or 2 am). My blue lights don't go off until after midnight anyways so it doesn't stress them out since they're used to it.

JM$.02,

Anthony

danny zubot
02-08-2005, 10:13 PM
I used to work 6pm til' 6am so I know how that works. Some of my best aquarium keeping was done in the middle of the night.