PDA

View Full Version : I dont know anything about sumps!

Coldwater
02-07-2005, 03:45 AM
The title says it all. I am setting up a new 73 gallon FOWLR aquarium and was wondering if I should put a sump in? It has three holes drilled in the bottom. What good do sumps do? How do you set them up? What would I use to build it? Thanks.

Matt

christyf5
02-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Try using the search function to the left, it can be very helpful. :biggrin: Here are a few links to get you started.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13584&highlight=sump

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7413&highlight=sump

Christy :)

Azilla
02-07-2005, 04:37 AM
sumps are good for water changes. They also add more water volume to your tank. You can use older tanks or rubber maid tubs. Sumps can hold all your Pumps, Heater and skimmers so there is no need for them in the tank. Basically makes your tank clean and free of the crap u need. :razz:

sumpfinfishe
02-07-2005, 05:04 AM
I will expand a little more
water changes>>>easier to change- pull out old or pour in new
more volume>>>greater volume to allow for fluctuations and such
equipment>>>everything goes into your sump thus no more eyesore's in the tank
also oxyginating the water bigtime

danny zubot
02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Sumps are great if you can handle the extra work in setting one up. Also they are a bit expensive to start up, with new plumbing and return pump etc. Well worth it IMO.

Snappy
02-07-2005, 11:08 PM
While we're talking about sumps I too don't have one yet and am debating as I am concerned about the noise levels. Should I be concerned?
Snap

mr_alberta
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
It depends on how you have your sump setup. Its trickier IMO to quiet down sumps that have a lot of flow going through them.

fishguyxd
02-07-2005, 11:58 PM
www.wetwebmedia.com

check out this site it has lots of info on everything I just started a new tank a while back with a sump pm if i can help a little.

Coldwater
02-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Sweet thanks for all the help!

Matt

marie
02-08-2005, 12:34 AM
This site might help too
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Coldwater
02-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Thanks for all the help, but all these sumps use overflows. I have three holes drilled in the bottom of mine. I dont know how to do this. I think I will ask Rob at My Fish Tank.

Matt

mr_alberta
02-08-2005, 02:49 AM
Where are the holes drilled and what are they currently used for?

Coldwater
02-08-2005, 03:45 AM
The holes are drilled one in the middle and on in each back corner. The tank is not being used right now.

Matt

danny zubot
02-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Greg said, While we're talking about sumps I too don't have one yet and am debating as I am concerned about the noise levels
I can't remember Greg, do you have an open stand under your tank? You can quiet one down quite a bit with a closed stand.

Willow
02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
it's not the sump so much that makes noise as the overflow. depending on how you configure your sump and return pump it can be quite quiet. the overflow on the otherhand will still make some noise, it will make a lot if you dont use a standpipe or some other gizmo.

mr_alberta
02-08-2005, 04:13 PM
If you have a couple of holes already drilled in the corners, you could silicone a piece of glass in the corner as an overflow box and use the pre-drilled hole as the drain.

As to the noise issue, Willow is correct in that the majority of the noise comes from the spashing over the overflow and the water draining into the sump. Thus, if you have a lot of water moving to and from you sump, it can be trickier to quiet down.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Or you could crank up your stereo really loud so you can't hear the sump :lol: :lol: :lol:

JJ

Any holes you don't use, you can just silicone a piece of glass over it because if you ended up using all 3 holes, that some serious water movement which would require a bigger pump & create a lot more noise.

JMO,

Anthony

danny zubot
02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Bio balls are good to fill overflows with because they cut down on the noise.