PDA

View Full Version : Big Bad Crab Question

Beverly
02-06-2005, 02:04 AM
An algae and coraline algae eating crab hitchhiked in on some rock awhile back. Didn't notice this crab until a few weeks ago when I also noticed how little coraline algae was in the tank compared to our other tanks :evil: Saw it happily munching on everything in sight, the bad, bad crab :evil:

Anyway, tore down the tank today in search of that big crab and a couple of other smaller ones. Mananged to get the small ones, but only found the two claws from the big bad one. Don't know if we got the crab, though, because the pump we were using to blow the crabs out of their hiding places might have ground up the big crab :eek:

In the event we only got the crab's claws and it's still in the tank, what are the chances it will survive without claws? I'm assuming it will regrow the claws if it's still in the tank, and if it does, will it live long enough to regrow the claws? Geez, I hope not, but would like your opinions.

TIA.

trilinearmipmap
02-06-2005, 02:18 AM
I don't know but I have had success baiting crabs with a combination of mysis and blender mush, stuck in an old ladies' stocking, I would trap it rather than take the tank apart.

Azilla
02-06-2005, 02:40 AM
I heard if u damage a crab it will die. I too have a couple Mystery guests in my tank and have been catchin them. So far i got 4 crabs and i know there are 2 more for sure in my tank. Also the loud anoying clicking i hear all the time still cant find what that is. I just know I lost alot of snails and 2 conchs!! but im almost at the point to pull the rock out and examine it cuz im gettin mad.

Bob I
02-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Sorry to discourage you, but a crab that loses its claws will merely regrow them at its next moult. I have had this happen a number of times with Coral Banded Shrimp. No that is not a crab, but still a crustacean. :biggrin:

Murminator
02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Also the loud anoying clicking i hear all the time still cant find what that is. I just know I lost alot of snails and 2 conchs!!

Mantis shrimp?? :eek:

snaggle
02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
wont it be hard for the thing to eat with out claws? So wont it starve to death?

Brad

Azilla
02-06-2005, 03:42 AM
lol better not be a mantis. It doesnt click constant its just a single click. then like 5mins later it will click again

untamed
02-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Could be a harmless pistol shrimp or mantis...both make clicks and I know of now foolproof way to tell which is which from the sounds only.

In my experience, the pistols tend to be much more shy...mantis allow themselves to be seen more often. Watch for their beadie little eyes...

Beverly
02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I would trap it rather than take the tank apart.

I have had success in the past trapping crabs that were omnivorous/carnivorous. But this big crab defied trapping, whether I baited the trap with mysis/other meaty foods or its favourite macroalgae :evil: Also, none of the other crabs in the tank seemed interested in the bait either.

Tearing down a tank is definitely not my idea of a fun way to spend the day :rolleyes: We did it as a last resort only. According to Chris, we caught five crabs, and have the claws of a sixth. If we didn't actually catch our big bad guy, I hope it starves to death before it molts :evil: However, with its large body mass, it may live off its body reserves until molting :neutral: Dang :2gunfire:

untamed
02-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I suppose it is all about what you want your tank to be.

For me....I just added two large algae eating crabs to my tank. Yes, they are doing some damage to the coraline, but they also do a pretty good job on the macroalgae.

I suppose it is all about manipulating the ecosystem participants to get the desired effect.

Azilla
02-06-2005, 07:00 PM
I always thought a piston shrimp was a sand dweller???? The click sound liked it comes from the top of my tank in one of the huge ass rocks. But like i said its a single click nothing more. It also amazes me how crabs can hide so well u can see a large crab then the crunch themselves into som odd shapped hole. I Know a few time i took a Metal rod and jammed it in a hole to kill a crab