PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S1 IS tips?

BCWolfen
02-05-2005, 03:34 AM
We got one of these for Xmas and I have been slowly learning its ins and outs. Its a pretty nice camera (asking wife for the macro lens for B-day :wink:)

The manual really is of no use, as all manuals are nowadays.

Does anyone have one of these that could provide some extra tips for getting good shots of the tank?

Or for that matter tips from anyone on getting good shots with a digital camera would be appreciated.

ie Room lights on or off, shutter speeds, ISO settings, etc etc etc.

Thanks
(more pics of tank coming soon lol)

adidas
02-05-2005, 05:48 AM
I get some good results with my camera, I put some room lights on behind me, just have to get the right angle so the light won't relect. I haven't really tried different shutter speeds or anything though.

I have a few really nice shots.

StirCrazy
02-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Tripod is the biggest tip. get one and use it and leave the flash off on your camera. room lights don't matter unless they are causing reflections.

white balance is the next thing to learn, play with your white balance settings to learn what they do and how each one affects the pic. If you have the option for custom white balance learn how to set that and how setting it with different methods can alter the picture.

other than that take lots and lots of shots, I only post my best shots and that is probably 1 out of 40 or more.

Steve

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2005, 07:43 PM
1 out of 40 or more

Geez Steve I wonder if that's why they came out with digital for ya :razz:

As Steve mentioned a tripod is a must, as shooting longer exposures requires a very steady camera, I use mine nearly 90% of my reef pics.
And I think I get 1 outta 39 :mrgreen:

I have a link that I will attach below
Look in the archives in 2003- Issue 2 and 11 or feb and nov, both have good articles for digital shooting.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/index/
Happy shooting :biggrin: