PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about Kent Products

FlameAngel
10-28-2001, 06:54 PM
I've been hearing from a lot of people in the states about their woes with Kent Marine products, esp. their salt and that it's loaded with phosphates and silicates. Is this true, locally?

Since JL is a huge Kent supplier I think it'll be good to know LOL

Thanks for the replies
FLameAngel

christyf5
10-28-2001, 07:10 PM
I've used Kent salt since I found it to be such a good deal at J&L (its half the price of Instant Ocean here on the island). Its good stuff. Mixes quickly and I've never had a problem with it. I hadn't heard about it having phosphates and silicates? Hmm, I have been having some algae problems lately, I thought it was my tap water purifier. I'll have to look into that.
Oh I also have Kent Iodine, Strontium/Molybdenum and Calcium which work great, as well as Kent RxP which totally rocks for getting rid of ich. Its the only thing that has worked so far. Kent is about the only thing available in Nanaimo so I haven't really had the opportunity to use much else (except in the case of the RxP in which I pretty much tried everything!)

Christy

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: christyf5 ]

smokinreefer
10-28-2001, 07:26 PM
maybe thats why i have an algae problem.

i am almost finished my bucket of kent salt. so i'll switch brands on my next purchase an see if things improve.

Troy F
10-28-2001, 07:59 PM
There was a comparison done by Aquarium Frontiers e-zine of the varius salt manufacturers. I would guess that it could probably be found in the reefs.org library. The funny thing about those comparisons was the amount of lithium in Coralife's salt. I mean we are talking some seriously happy fish images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif . I don't remember anything bad about Kent, it compared quite favorably with Instant Ocean.

Speaking of Aquarium Frontiers, it looks like Terry Seigel is putting together another magazine/e-zine. It will be geared towards the advanced hobbyists like Aquarium Frontiers.

titus
10-28-2001, 08:34 PM
Hello Troy,

I measured the silicate and phosphate levels with both Hagen and Salifert test kits of water mixed with Kent salt. Nothing found so far. I also haven't had any problems with it yet.

Titus

reefburnaby
10-28-2001, 10:41 PM
Hello,

I currently use Kent Salt and their buffer. I have also used Instant Ocean. Both were good and no really big difference (expect price).

As for Kent salts having phosphate and silicates...I would probably say no. I would say that some of the additives that we put in to our tanks can cause algae blooms or cause phosphate/silicate probems. Take Seachem Plus -- everytime I add it...bam hair algae in 24 hours. Kent's Phytoplex -- same story.

- Victor.

Silverfish
10-28-2001, 11:25 PM
Don't have any experience with Kent salt, I use IO but I saw an article in a British mag, Practical Fishkeeping I think, and it did a similar salt comparison (or maybe it was the same one) and Kent was given 8/10 and IO was also given 8/10. IO was given the "best buy" or whatever by the testers, but I don't remember anything about phosphates or silicates in the Kent salt. Btw Christy, are there some good aquarium shops in Nanaimo? I was there a week ago on a different mission, but didn't find any. Thanks, Bruce

christyf5
11-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Hey Bruce,
Yep you didn't find any because there are none. Our last decent reef store went under in April. There is absolutely nothing here, except for the Petcetera and that doesn't count. Bleh, I feel so bad for the fish there. I have to make the pilgrimage over to Van just to see whats out there images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

FlameAngel
11-02-2001, 04:48 AM
I've also heard that the Kent Calcium is in a form which corals cannot use? Do you think this is true?

FlameAngel