PDA

View Full Version : 250W DE HQI Bulbs?

bluetang
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Has anyone tried the Hamilton 250w 14K DE HQI bulbs. What are your thoughts on these and the others below.

Ushio 250W 10K DE HQI
Sun Aquatics 250W 10K DE HQI

Its almost time to change my bulbs. Therefore the great bulb decision begins.
I currently 3 250w hqi pendants acompanied with 3 URI supper Actinic VHO's. Any feedback would be apreciated.
thanks
ROb

j83
02-01-2005, 08:59 PM
I am using them right now. They are still in their break-in period, but they look great. Not too blue, and not too white. I don't use actinics with them - don't see the need. I have no pictures right now - sorry.

StirCrazy
02-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Has anyone tried the Hamilton 250w 14K DE HQI bulbs. What are your thoughts on these and the others below.

Ushio 250W 10K DE HQI
Sun Aquatics 250W 10K DE HQI

Its almost time to change my bulbs. Therefore the great bulb decision begins.
I currently 3 250w hqi pendants acompanied with 3 URI supper Actinic VHO's. Any feedback would be apreciated.
thanks
ROb

If your using actinic suplament then I would go for the cheepest one which should be the Sun Aquatics. I use there 250 watt 10K SE bulbs and I am impressed with the output of them.

Steve

robzilla
02-02-2005, 01:37 AM
hi, i'm looking to buy a pendant setup within the next few weeks. which brand have you purchased? are you satisfied with them. i'd appreciate your feedback (plus i'll keep reading the bulb info too)
thanks
rob

bluetang
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I have three of these 250 watters.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pfo-hqpen

I really like them. Its the bulbs I cant comit to yet. To many out there and to many mixed results.

Thanks
Rob

d.serko
02-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I am currently running them and love them. seems like a perfect blue tint. I had a 10K ushio before and I prefer the 14K hamiltons.

bluetang
02-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Are you running actinics also?

vanreefer
02-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I am setting up my 250W ushios as we speak they should be up and running by thursday... I will let you know what I think.

Steve why would it make a difference if you are running actinics or not?? Might get cheaper bulbs if you can convince me... :confused:
Thanks
Dano

StirCrazy
02-03-2005, 02:08 AM
I am setting up my 250W ushios as we speak they should be up and running by thursday... I will let you know what I think.

Steve why would it make a difference if you are running actinics or not?? Might get cheaper bulbs if you can convince me... :confused:
Thanks
Dano

Well Ushio is white, Sunaquatics is pretty much white, Hamilton is bluish.

Between the Ushio and the Sunaquatics if you are running a couple VHO Actinics at the same time you will never see a difference and the Sun Aquatics have more output than the Ushio from my testing. The two most powerfull bulbs I have tested so fare are the AB and the Sun Aquatics. out of the two the AB has a slight blue tinge and the SA is white and somtimes has a slight (as in a tiny tiny bit) green tint like mine do but with the Actinic on you can't tell. So for less money you are getting more PAR and with actinics you won't see a difference.

Steve

bluetang
02-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Sorry Steve, AB's?? what brand is that? or is that the actual brand.

Rob

muck
02-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Rob
Aqualine Bushke made in Germany.

StirCrazy
02-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Rob
Aqualine Bushke made in Germany.

AB's are the Standard in bulbs. they are expensive but they are the best. recently there price has droped a bit to make them a bit more afordable.

STeve