PDA

View Full Version : LFS's in San Fransisco area

TANGOMAN
01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
This should probably be posted in another column but if your anything like me, you don't venture into the "misc." too often...
Any of you folks know the "must see" places for fish geeks in "The Bay Area ?" The wife and I are headin' down there for a week and of course the itinerary was presented to me with all the places we will be visiting.

Alcatraz will be cool but my wheels started turning right away about the stores that might be worth a visit... :cool: . Is there a Marineland or Seaworld in Northern California? These are the places that'd really interst me...

Any thoughts or recomendations on travel to that area are greatly appreciated.

muck
01-31-2005, 09:54 PM
I would for sure make a trip to Monterey. I think it is only about an hour and a half from San Francisco. Would be a sweet daytrip!! :cool:

Aquarium of the Bay - San Francisco
http://www.aquariumofthebay.com/

Monterey Bay Aquarium - Monterey
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

Wade
02-03-2005, 05:34 AM
I was there last year, went to several LFS , there were some very interesting ones, all in China town. I wish I could remember their names, but I looked them up in the yellow pages when i got there. Many have equipment and fish and packed from the floor to the ceiling, not a bare square inch of space to be found, like a big warehouse

Nemain
02-03-2005, 06:24 AM
Take the night tour of alcatraz - truly amazing.

As for fish, there is a small fish store about 4 blocks north of union square... unfortunately I forgett the name of it, but it is in an ally way. I am sure if you head to the aquaruim someone will be able to tell you about it ;)

You also M U S T see the sunset on Ocean Beach - amazing! There is an aquarium in Golden Gate park.. about 15 minute trip from the beach =)

If you can, eat at Mama's on washington square for breakfast. YOU MUST go to the bathroom, its worth it - food is fantastic... but you have to be an early riser. If you head there around 7am you can see about a hundred people doing tai chi in the square... and thats when the breakfast line up starts o_O Local artists have an out door gallery in the square as well.

And if you are the walking type, its just a 15 minute hike up to coit tower.. more tai chi, great view of the city, there is a small chinese herbalist up there too... mmmmmm I still have some white rabits I bought there =)

Have fun! San Fran is a fantastic place to vacation. It has a bit for everyone.