PDA

View Full Version : panda clown?

pandafishowner
01-31-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm new here, was told about the group from a friend my hubby and I work for. We helped him set up his tank, and now we have a 10g of our own. It's fully cycled, and we have a few things. So far just two small pieces of live rock, a snake polyp, and a panda clown. The panda was quite inactive at first. Rarely moved from the far back right corner. Didn't move a lot, and didn't seem to eat much. Tried another food tonight and left the light on a little longer, and he seems more active.

My question is: what type fish are good to put with him? We want to only have a few small fish. Maybe 3 or 4 if possible. Since we have black and white, we want something with a little color. Any suggestions/advice?

pandafishowner
01-31-2005, 06:59 AM
oops, sorry, we have a coral base, i think 10 crabs, and just one snail for right now.

G1GY
01-31-2005, 07:02 AM
Welcome aboard!

Maybe try a small Goby of some kind? Or a colorfull little wrasse?

Some shrimp are realy nice colors also.

hockey nut
01-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Hello and welcome,

With a 10g tank you are some what restricted to what you can put in the tank. I would think a Green Chromis, a yellow clown goby, maybe a Blennie, Cleaner shrimp , sixline Wrasse, neon Goby, yellow Watchman Goby, maybe a Firefish Goby, green clown goby. ( these for the most part should be fine with your clown fish and each other )

Now... I'm not saying all of these will fit in your tank, but to add 1 or 2 more and say a cleaner shrimp should be fine. I would defenately not go more than 3 total. Don't add them all at once either. Add 1 ( unless you are getting a pair ) then give it a couple of weeks before you add another.

Other Canreef members will most likely have different opinions, but thats whats great about this site. This is just my 2 cents worth. :smile:

Enjoy your new Hobby and again Welcome. :mrgreen:

CHEERS

Ryan
01-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Panda CLown? DO you mean Black and White. I would get a nice little flashers wrasse or a Blood Shrimp.

danny zubot
01-31-2005, 05:02 PM
I'd also consider a cleaner shrimp, and anamone for the clown if you are really daring.

muck
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
I will say cleaner shrimp as well. I just got two of them the other day and I love them... They aren't scared of me at all. Whenever I am busy in the tank moving stuff around they like to hitch a ride on my hand. Great critters to have IMO.

I don't think I would put an anenome in a 10 Gal as it will probably outgrow the tank sooner rather than later or take up too much of your valuable real-estate.

You could add another clown for company. I am assuming by panda clown you mean a black and white variant of A. percula. (Please correct me if I am wrong) You could get an orange and white one for color.

Another fish I would opt for would be a small goby. I am currently keeping my eye out for a red-head goby. I think they are great little fish!!

Oh and Welcome to the Board..!! :cool:

Doug
01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
:mrgreen:
WELCOME to CANREEF
:mrgreen:

I think any wrasse will not have enough room ina tank that small. However the suggestion of a yellow watchman is a good suggestion. They like to make a burrow under a rock and sit on the lip, surveying its surroundings. Easy to feed and add colour.

pandafishowner
01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
hi, yes, the panda clownfish is a black and white clown. It has yellow around it's side fins though. My hubby and I were planning on getting a cleaner shrimp on next payday, but for now the crabs seem to be doing a pretty good job keeping the tank clean. We're not really wanting an anenome as everything we've read and heard so far suggests we need way better lighting. I did a google search on the goby, and I kinda like the neon one best. Pretty coloring. Thanks. :)

muck
01-31-2005, 08:41 PM
hi, yes, the panda clownfish is a black and white clown. It has yellow around it's side fins though. My hubby and I were planning on getting a cleaner shrimp on next payday, but for now the crabs seem to be doing a pretty good job keeping the tank clean. We're not really wanting an anenome as everything we've read and heard so far suggests we need way better lighting. I did a google search on the goby, and I kinda like the neon one best. Pretty coloring. Thanks. :)
Here is some good information on the neon goby.
It will stay relatively small so it will make an excellent addition to your nano.

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/neon_goby.htm

pandafishowner
01-31-2005, 09:00 PM
LOL... thats the exact site I was looking at.

Ryan
01-31-2005, 09:57 PM
you could go for a sharknose also. They have a gold stripe instead of a Blue one

Quinn
01-31-2005, 10:18 PM
For information's sake, the clown is undoubtedly a black Saddleback clownfish, Amphiprion polymnus. As juveniles, individuals of the black strain tend to have yellow on their faces and/or fins. There are also variants of A. ocellaris and A. percula with significant amount of black pigmentation but in my experience they are much less common, particularly in Canada.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-10/32128/AMPHIPRIONPOLYMNUS.jpg

http://www.millenniumdivers.mcnet.pl/galeria/Amphiprion/Amphiprion%20polymnus/Amphiprion%20polymnus%201.jpg

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/pomacentridi/PMCamphiprion-polymnus-5.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=cf8801341671c673daf46ee788f96bb7&threadid=305127

pandafishowner
02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
mine seems to resemble the black variant and the one in the last picture. he's got the mouth marking and very little on his fins. he's starting to get a little more active finally too. :)

Ryan
02-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Here is an easy way does his middle fin slope at the top. If so it is a saddleback if not and it is strait up and down it is a percual or ocellaris.

pandafishowner
02-02-2005, 07:32 PM
it kind of looks like it slopes, but it also looks like he only has the one big fin at the top. i cant seem to see a smaller one. :confused:

Ryan
02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Definatly a saddleback clownfish

pandafishowner
02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
thanks :) he's a cutie. trying to get my inlaw to lend me her digi cam so I can get a close pic