PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer advice needed

BlkWolfe
01-31-2005, 04:40 AM
Never used a skimmer before, but would like to give one or two a shot and see how my tanks react...

First tank is a 72g Aggressive tank, other is a 52g LPS/softie reef. Space is a concern for both, so most likely limited to a HOB skimmer. Not a heavy bioload in either tank, but would like to cut down on maintenance and maybe try some sps in the 52g.

Was looking at getting remora pros for each, but would appreciate anybodies input into them or any other skimmers that you've used on tanks about this size.

StirCrazy
01-31-2005, 04:46 AM
when looking for a skimmer I find they are horribly over rated in what they can handle. a good rule of thumb is to get one rated for at least 2X the size of your tank.. remember if you are under skimming you waisted money and you can't over skim.
so you want one that will handle up to 150 gal minimum for your 72 gal

If you had a sump you would open the door to Beckett/venturi style pumps and so on which can handle larger tanks for there size.

Steve

BlkWolfe
01-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Space is a concern for both, so most likely limited to a HOB skimmer

Was looking at getting remora pros for each, but would appreciate anybodies input into them or any other skimmers that you've used on tanks about this size.

:rolleyes:

If i had a sump and more space id be building one myself. I need them both to be compact.

The remora pro was rated up to 125g. Personally, i do believe you can overskim a reef. Which was why ive never used a skimmer on any of my reef tanks. However i wanted to start some clams and sps in the 52g, cleaner conditions than a softie reef :biggrin: . MPO of course.

Does anyone have experience with these skimmers or any other HOB skimmers they'd recommend that dont need constant adjustment or just dont work?

G1GY
01-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Josh, I think that the Remora pro would be a very good cost effective choice for you.

While you can't over skim, you can skim reasonably well with the Remora and Remora pro.

I use the Remora (Not the pro) on my 90 with very good results.

I'm sure that someone is going to tell me it's not large enough for my tank, but keep in mind that there many other people that keep just about everything without skimming at all.

So my opinion would be that any skimming is good skimming and the Remora skimmers do give you realy good bang for the buck.

Search around the net and see what others have to say about these compared to other HOB skimmers. :smile:

BrainVat
01-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Whatever you do, don't buy a seaclone. (Unless it's mine)