PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Star Polyp land

doch
01-31-2005, 02:52 AM
So... My star polyps aren't looking so hot. Everything else in the tank is doing well, or seems to be at least., except for the last few days my stars haven't been coming out at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are able to adapt to nearly any flow and light are they not? My frogspawn, finger leather, fuzzy mush, zooz, and xenia... all seem to be doing great... it's just the hardest one to kill that doesn't look so hot.... any ideas?

rusty
01-31-2005, 02:57 AM
I would not worry to much. My green star polyps and pink stars have both had times when they do not open maybe in a week if they are not open I might worry. I fragged my green stars and they did not open for three days but now they are growing great. Good luck :smile:

Azilla
01-31-2005, 03:09 AM
Mine did this too. I took my turkey baster and blasted them a bit seemed like they where bein bugged by somthin then they opened up again,

sumpfinfishe
01-31-2005, 05:57 AM
Not too worry as GSP do this quite often. They go through a closed cycle for three or four days or even up to a week in order to shed mucus and debris buildup. If your really concerned, you can help out the coral by giving it a mild blast with a turkey baster or small powerhead :mrgreen:

chwkreefer
02-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Has the water flow changed by your gsp recently?

Also, you could check your alkalinity. I have always found green stars to be sensitive to a substantial drop in alkalinity. If my other corals look good and just the green stars close up, it's always the first thing I check.

doch
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, they seem to have come back.... all chemistry has been good the whole time btw. My theory is that when I put them in, I placed them in a different orientation than they were used to, so they closed up, and then adjusted themselves to be in the direction of light and flow. When they came back they were facing the other way. Just a theory.