PDA

View Full Version : Adding another clown fish.

Azilla
01-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey all i wanted to add a final fish to my tank and that is another clown fish.

This is my stock as is....

Salfin tang
yellow clown goby
perc clown
6line wrasse
mandrian
Firefish
cleaner shrimp

Now almost all fish in my tank are small except the salfin and mandrian
im running a 75gal tank with a 75gal sump((55-60gals in the sump)) and a 21gal fuge.
I dont want any more fish then 1 more clown was curious if u think my tanks can handle 1 more fish????

Rikko
01-30-2005, 07:51 PM
The only really substantial fish there is the tang.. I wouldn't think another clown is crowding you.

Beverly
01-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Be prepared for the established clown to want to drive out the new clown for several days until they establish which one will be female (dominant) and which will be male (submissive).

Bob I
01-30-2005, 08:29 PM
As Beverly says, it could be interesting. Perculas and Ocellaris clowns are my favorite fish. I try to never keep just one simply because they don't look happy alone. I had one Percula a little while ago because only one was available. When I found another one, I added it to the tank. Well they went absolutely nuts, They knocked corals over in their enthusiasm. Things settled down after an hour or two, and they are now inseperable. :mrgreen:

Azilla
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
ya i know mine looks really upset at all times when i look at other members pictures of there pairs they look happy. I wanted 2 clowns from the start but i didnt know at the time that it was better if bought in pairs :frown: i found another clown here in town and put it on hold cuz they have been hard to come by. They wont kill each other will they??

Bob I
01-30-2005, 09:54 PM
ya i know mine looks really upset at all times when i look at other members pictures of there pairs they look happy. I wanted 2 clowns from the start but i didnt know at the time that it was better if bought in pairs :frown: i found another clown here in town and put it on hold cuz they have been hard to come by. They wont kill each other will they??

I have never seen them kill each other, but it might be better to float the newcomer in one of those transparent breeding traps, and let it out a day or so later. :biggrin:

Scavenger
01-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Another trick you may want to concider when you add the last fish is to re arrange the rockwork to reduce territoriallity (is that a word?) that is possible from other fish. The clown and wrasse are what I'd watch the most.

bulletsworld
01-31-2005, 09:14 PM

I have never seen them kill each other, but it might be better to float the newcomer in one of those transparent breeding traps, and let it out a day or so later. :biggrin:

Yes those transparent breeding containers work awesome. You can even apparently pick them up at Wal-Mart for about $10 bucks. Over this past weekend, I had a male (small) maroon clown and when I was in Calgary I picked up for another guy a Maroon clown (BIG- female). I kept this Female maroon in this plastic container in fear that my clown was going to rip him to pieces. As I suspected even thought the female clown was in the plastic container my clown (male) was going crazy dashing at the plastic, smashing into the container like crazy and nipping the (female) from the bottom grill vents. Female was scared. I thought ...O.H No! So I left that big female clown in that container, all the rest of that night and all the next day. Got home late and felt sorry for the BIG (female) maroon clown in this container so I let her out being totally prepared to break up the fight if it got to bad.

Sure enough, this female Maroon clown headed right for my mean (male) small Maroon clown. They got in to a brief fight before the bigger one (Female Maroon) won the battle and stole my guy (Male clown) anemone. She sure told him hey! :lol:

They never had another fight after that. So far anyway. But I seen my clown this morning out in the dog house (other side of the tank) Hiding in shame that he lost & peaking over the corals every now and then to see if the Big Female clown perhaps left the anemone yet.

Aww....poor guy.. Hope the new (boss) female lets him back in the anemone soon. :lol: :lol:

P.s I have them both in a 77gal tank.

Willow
01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
my maroon bit me almost every time i put my hand in the tank.. cute little bastard :evil:

bulletsworld
01-31-2005, 09:36 PM
my male maroon bit me almost every time i put my hand in the tank.. cute little bastard :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Same here! :lol:

If my maroon clown was saying anything it was....that's MINE reef, MINE sand, MINE rock, MINE corals, as he would bite me, when trying to clean or arrange anything in the tank. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little buggers hey but damn can't help but thinking its so cute at the same time. Can't believe I thought maroons were the goldfish of the ocean. They have become my fav fish and are just comical to watch. Love my little tough guy. Can't believe I waited so long to get one. Now I can't stop talkin about my clown. :lol:

:mrgreen:

IslandReefer
01-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Maroons are way more aggressive than Percs or Ocellarus.
I just made sure the "New Guy" was significantly smaller than the resident female.
He should grovel and dip, she'll "fish-wife him" but shouldn't be in any real danger.
Now a Mama Maroon...dun-dun, dun-dun....outa the water!
Good Luck

Willow
01-31-2005, 10:29 PM
the maroons also do a nice job aquascapping. its great if you need lots of free room on the top of the tank and a pige pile of upside down coral at the bottom, they do an outsanding job of handling these little details for you.

1bigstud
01-31-2005, 11:40 PM
I was actually going to pick up a maroon clown in the next couple days. Is it only the perc's oscilerus clowns that do better in pairs or would a maroon be happier with a buddy?? Also I only have one bta so if I did get more than one clown I doubt they would share??? so whats better 1clown + 1 annenome??? or 2clowns+1annenome??

Quinn
02-01-2005, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't mix clown species - particularly when you're talking about a maroon.

Azilla
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
well today i got my other clown fish. I brought it home and let the bag float. My other clown kinda looked at it didnt seem to care at all. So I accumed it then i put it in a netted breader box. Still my clown didnt care i let it sit for about a hour nothing??? So i said screw it and put the clown in the tank. Right away my clown did a dash for the other one. Side by side the stood i watched and nothing. They have been swimming side by side like they where buddies forever. Now my sailfin dont like that he was in between them both push the new clown around but yet the clown look at the tang as it was going PFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!! Who do u think u are LOL :cool: So now i have 2 clown fish and instantly my old clown looked happy!!!!

LoL now do u think i should get them a anemone hehe

1bigstud
02-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Thats great that they paired up what type of clowns are they??? In a bit of a dilema trying to decide if I should get a pair of matching clowns or just one seeing as I only have one annenome.

Azilla
02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
they said when i bought it was a True Perc dunno but i think there both true