PDA

View Full Version : clowns problem

KMACAS
01-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I have a 50 gallon tank that has been going for two months In it I have 6 percula clowns. three days ago I have added 12 more clowns and three have died and the water is geting fogy .I have moved 5 clowns in a nother tank and I am left with 9 in the tank with problems.I have also added a yellow botom Anemone at the same time as the clowns. Amonia is alitle bit up but not to bad 0.50 everything els is good.please can some one hepl me so the other clowns do not die.
thank you

Skimmerking
01-30-2005, 02:14 PM
your problem is a ammonia spike , and having 12 clowns in a 50 gal tank what are you thinking. you should never have that many clowns in a tank unless yo have about 1000 gal. you need to have lots and lots of gallons if you want to have that many clowns and a aneome in there already you need a mature tank with 0 PPM for any readings. for that type of corals.

I would either take them back or get more tanks with better filter capabilies.

you should have 2-3 clowns in a tank and after they pair up the other clown should be taken out , the pair of them will pick on the smallest and the weakest clwon.

mike

Beverly
01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
KMACAS,

Personally, I would only keep one pair of clowns in a given tank. The number of fish you have in your 50g is far too many and is the cause of your ammonia problem. It is also the cause of the fish deaths and the cloudiness in your tank.

Immediately, I would remove all but two clowns. Either return them to your lfs or put them in other tanks that are well cycled and that can handle the extra bioload. I would also do a large water change (40%) to reduce ammonia. Normally, I would not do large water changes, but ammonia at .5 ppm is toxic to your fish and this is what is killing them.

After you have gotten rid of the other clowns, I would keep monitoring the ammonia. Do water changes to keep it as far under .25 ppm as you can. This may mean that you're going to be doing water changes daily for at least a week, probably longer.

Ammonia at .5 ppm will also greatly affect the health of your anemone, so it is imperative to keep ammonia levels as close to 0 ppm as possible.

Sounds like you are new to reefkeeping. One quick word of advice and that is only add one or two fish at a time. Depending on the adult size of the fish you want to keep, you should only be keeping about 3-5 fish at the most in a 50g.

HTH.

Bob I
01-30-2005, 04:54 PM
I wonder if this person is making a joke :question: . I can't see anyone putting 18 clowns into a 50 gallon tank. :eek:

Willow
01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
double danger :eek:

KMACAS
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
they are only small clowns not even close to fullsize .I have two more tanks that are runing and I bought the clowns from a store in cal;gary and shipping was 80$ so I bought 12 of them .my intetion is to slplit them in three groups in three tanks.I also have african cichlids 10 tanks and I have more experiance with them then with saltwater fish.some of the clowns are only 1 in long and I was sure that for a week or two it would not be a problem.maybe I am wrong.

Skimmerking
01-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Just remember a small phrase::

FW is far cheap and easy, but Salt water is expensive and less forgiven. Doesnt matter how much you read until you take the plunge you know nothing.

Dont take it to heart ,but when people get in to this hobby they think they know everything, just do what is right for the little fishies...

it's the least we can do to accomate them for coming half way around the world for our viewing .....

:cool:

mike

Bob I
01-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Just remember a small phrase::

FW is far cheap and easy, but Salt water is expensive and less forgiven. Doesnt matter how much you read until you take the plunge you know nothing.

Dont take it to heart ,but when people get in to this hobby they think they know everything, just do what is right for the little fishies...

it's the least we can do to accomate them for coming half way around the world for our viewing .....

:cool:

mike

Ispell is free Mike. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

Skimmerking
01-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks Bob LOL :lol:

mike

FLOURESANT is the poper spelling

Bob I
01-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks Bob LOL :lol:

mike

FLOURESANT is the poper spelling

Wouldn't that be pooper spelling. :question:

Ryan
01-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey bob this post is about clowns not spelling.

I would definatly recomend picking up Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson. You can keep 1000 clowns together if you have enough gallons but you will only get 1 pair. Well maybe not wih a thousand but you get my point. With 4 clowns in a group you will only get a pair then the other 2 will stay immature. This will all be explained in the book i recomended. But like everyone here said divide up your clown you have way too many per gallons. I would recond 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons maximum 10 gallons per inch is probally better right now.

sumpfinfishe
01-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Where's the clown police when you need them :frown:

If you saw or read about a tank that was full of a bunch of pretty clownfish, chances are it was a breeder's tank or someone else who didn't research there fish keeping abilitys. There's a huge difference between keeping a school of neon tetra's together than a tank full of clownfish.

Bob's just padding again :mrgreen:

Ryan
01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
You have to be warry with Saltwater tanks. If you look at other people tanks from CanReef they have sumps under their tanks. The tank you may have seen could have had a massive sump under it or maybe the tank was still extended backwards.