PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Reef Meet - Thanks Jon & Katie

EmilyB
01-30-2005, 04:50 AM
That was so much fun ! Great get-together, and your tank looks fabulous ! It was so nice to meet some new people and share geek-i-ness. :cool: I came home with money and frags :eek:.

Bob I
01-30-2005, 04:51 AM
Ditto for me. :biggrin:

Mazi79
01-30-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks Jon & Katie for hosting this. It was great to meet everyone and come home with some new frags....

G1GY
01-30-2005, 05:01 AM
It was a great get together with lots of realy nice people.

Nice display tank and what an awsome equipment/fish room!

Thanks Jonathan & Katie! You two hosted a most enjoyable gathering. :smile:

ps.

Thanks to the Edmonton people for coming down. It was nice to meet you.

Mikey B
01-30-2005, 05:03 AM
An excellent get together...especially for the greenhorns like me.

Bob, my new zoos are alive and well and popping their little heads out already.

Thanks Jonathan...you're a great host.

Mike

AndyL
01-30-2005, 05:03 AM
Great meeting everyone! It was a blast... Thanks jon, Katie and everyone else!

I'm sitting here trying to find room for all these frags Dang jim - you were almost too generous :biggrin:

Deb: I seem to have found 3-4 small (think pencil eraser) hitch hiking starfish on that GSP - any idea what they are? Not asterinas - thos I already have - long thin arms... (Not complaining - something new to look at I'm thrilled!) Just curious on what they might be?

Andy

medican
01-30-2005, 05:23 AM
Thanks Jon & Katie

It was a great time, and now to be able to put a face to all the great people I met tonight. :biggrin:

Thanks for the frags
Thanks for the great time
Thanks to Jon for the hitchhiker stars he dident charge me for :razz:

and thanks to our great hosts.......lets do it again next week :biggrin:

Richard

Tarolisol
01-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Great times thanks a bunch

Snappy
01-30-2005, 05:28 AM
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Thanks very much Jon & Katie. Your hospitality was greatly appreciated and your tank and whole set-up is amazing. Nice to meet all you folks and be able to put names and faces together.
Well done.
Thanks again,
Greg

EmilyB
01-30-2005, 05:36 AM
Deb: I seem to have found 3-4 small (think pencil eraser) hitch hiking starfish on that GSP - any idea what they are? Not asterinas - thos I already have - long thin arms... (Not complaining - something new to look at I'm thrilled!) Just curious on what they might be?

Andy

Detritus brittle stars ?...you owe me 40 cents..... :lol:

Canadian Man
01-30-2005, 05:44 AM
I can add something....

I would like to extend a big thanks from the host.....ME and Kate!

I was overwhelmed at first with the idea of having so many people here but it was not the least bit bad and it helps ALOT when you have respectful and wonderful people!

Thanks all and I hope to have another gathering in the summertime. By then we should have 20 or so new persons and of course that time of year we can pack some outside :razz: :biggrin:

Thanks!

AndyL
01-30-2005, 05:50 AM

How about a 1 month loan of a MH fixture? :)

Yeah brittle stars - decided to be unlazy and look it up! Love getting new hitch hikers! we should do a big LS trade at the next meet - everybody brings a cup, everybody takes a cup...

Andy

Cap'n
01-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Good, clean fun.

Thanks to the hosts, the guests and the new friends. Looking forward to doing it again.

Tim

albert_dao
01-30-2005, 07:12 AM
A BIG DIIIIIIITTO!

Nice to meet all of you! Thanks for hosting this awesome gathering everyone!

AJ_77
01-30-2005, 10:18 AM
What a blast. Great snail pimping, frag scramble, snack-fest, story swaps - and managed to break even!
Very cool to met some more Edmonton-types, all good.

Scott: I owe you 2 bucks. thanks again. :cool:
Sean: glad I'm not who you thought I was. :mrgreen:

many thanks to Jonathan and Katie... would be curious to know the total amount for all deals this night... :eek:

Richard_Dicosimo
01-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for having Mel and i over aswell. It was lots of fun.

Richard

Jim Barry
01-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Thank Jon and Katie....... YOU GUYS ROCK !!

It was great fun...... I even came home with lots of $$$ :biggrin:

I volunteer to have the next one in July.....mark in on your calendar !!

Date to follow....

Jim

Bob I
01-30-2005, 04:37 PM

Andy

Nice name :eek: Those must be the stars that originally came from Tony (at least in my case). Everybody who gets frags from me gets those for FREE. There are so many in my tanks that they hitchike along whenever I take something out. :crazyeye:

Bob I
01-30-2005, 04:43 PM
many thanks to Jonathan and Katie... would be curious to know the total amount for all deals this night... :eek:

I would be hesitant to post in public what I brought home in my wallet, but just let me say that it is almost enough to buy that HQI pendant.

BTW mailing from the States has gone beyond ridiculous. It would be $53.00 to airmail a pendant from Premium Aquatics. :eek:

kuatto
01-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I think that was the biggest meeting I've been to in a couple of years :eek:
I want to thank Jonathan and Katie for letting a bunch of drifters from up north crash the party :mrgreen:(about 10 of us)I had a blast,bought some nice frags and still came home with money :biggrin:
I'm thinking on making another trip in a month to a couple of the LFS and definitely to "Pete's drivethrough"(shake and a double burger this time :mrgreen: )

Bob I
01-30-2005, 05:01 PM
definitely to "Pete's drivethrough"(shake and a double burger this time :mrgreen: )

Double burger is not a good deal because you get 1 1/2 patties in a single, and only two in a double. I know that because I have been going there since the middle fifties. :eek:

AndyL
01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
:rolleyes: Damn edmontonians... PETERS DRIVE-IN :rolleyes:

Yeesh - and shame on you bob - for not fixing his spelling mistakes!

:mrgreen:

KaYaKRoB
01-30-2005, 05:06 PM
WoW, great get together, I never would have been able to get all the things that i got last night from the stores, without going broke. Oh, and thanks for the 9 hitchhiker brittle stars! thanks guys/girls -RoB

kuatto
01-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Ahh...tomatoe,tamato.... :razz: all I know is I'm going for another :mrgreen:

I can't get over the differances between Calgary and Edmonton fish stores(dont want to start a war between lfs),but its worth the drive back to Calgary.

snaggle
01-30-2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1178DSC00630.JPG $40 open brain need I say more.

we are going to steal all the calgary LFS :mrgreen:

Bob I
01-30-2005, 05:47 PM
we are goingh to steel all the calgary LFS :mrgreen:

Is steeling them anything like "bricking" them :question: :razz: , or did you mean "stealing" them :razz:

Sorry I had to do that, or Gary would complain :biggrin:

Bob I
01-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Sorry Gary, you too are wrong :razz: , it is actually PETERS' Drivein. The owner came from Holland, and his name is PIETERS, which he shortened to Peters. Hence the apostrophe behind the name, which is the possive case of Peters :biggrin:

Geez, I hope you get all that on an early Sunday morning. :grab:

Vagabond
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Fan fraggin tastic get together last night!!

Great people and lots of laughs and stories. Really cool to meet everyone :cool:

Might have been fun to call the cops and tell them there was a big reefer deal going down...all those people leaving Jon and Katie's with baggies :eek:

Kudos to Jon and Katie for opening their home to a bunch of fish freaks.

Muchos Gracias!!

Quinn
01-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Bob, what does "possive" mean? :razz:

Bob I
01-30-2005, 07:24 PM

Sorry Gary, you too are wrong :razz: , it is actually PETERS' Drivein. The owner came from Holland, and his name is PIETERS, which he shortened to Peters. Hence the apostrophe behind the name, which is the possessive case of Peters :biggrin:

Geez, I hope you get all that on an early Sunday morning. :grab:

Bob I
01-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Bob, what does "possive" mean? :razz:

:redface: My own fault. I should be more careful, as I can't expect to get away with anything :eek: .

chrisd
01-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks Jon and Katie....had a great time and looking forward to the next get together.

Fish
01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks you guys! I really felt a sense of kinship with everyone there. Chris and I were commenting on the ride back at how everyone we met were truly good people. I don't know what other hobby I could be involved in that would bring me into the company of such decent folks.
I would also like to state that even though Chris and I rode in together, we are not "together" - there was some confusion as we were leaving.
I am married to the woman in my avatar and do not really find Chris attractive... no offence Chris :mrgreen:

- Chad

DiscusZ
01-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks Jon and Katie it was definately a blast! Once my tank gets to the levels of some of the Reefers here, I would not mind holding one as well

Thank Aj-77 that Cap looks AWESOME in my tank!!

It was great meeting some new people as well. Hope we can all do this again real soon!

Again a great time Thanks Jon and Katie.

Jim

kuatto
01-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Anyone have pics to post of the event?

Richer
01-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks for hosting the party and letting us crash it :mrgreen:

I believe bulletsworld took a few pictures, maybe she could post them up for us :razz:

-Rich

Bob I
01-30-2005, 11:00 PM

I believe bulletsworld took a few pictures, maybe she could post them up for us :razz:

-Rich

She did :eek: I can vaguely recall posing for one :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think it is time for us to get together so we can crash your next one. :evil: I remember the grub at Beth's was fine. :biggrin:

TANGOMAN
01-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks Jon and Katie. That was a great time. It was nice to meet some new faces and catch-up with the old...
Truly a great bunch of people as mentioned. What amazes me is the diversity of people. All walks of lifes and professions, sharing a common interest. Very cool !!!
I think most would agree, Jon has accomplished what many of us are striving for. This certainly did not happen by luck. A magnificent system. As "The Mighty Quinn" remarked last night, "this is as close to a perfect set-up as you will see..." Undoubtedly I agree. I mean, he even has a drip line above the sumps float valve to eliminate calcium build-up... :rolleyes: . Always thinkin' eh...
Thanks to those who set me up with all them baggies. "Hang in there little Zenia, hang in there buddy..." :lol:

Buccaneer
01-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks Jon & Katie ... I know Norberto and I did not stay long but the hospitality was great nonetheless ... nice to see some old faces and to meet some new.

Cheers

muck
01-31-2005, 01:34 AM
A huge thanks to Jon and Katie for hosting the meet. It was great to finally meet some of you southeners. Looking at my tank now, I see I better get saving for the bigger one real soon. I am running out of room fast... :mrgreen:

Jon, the tank was truly impressive. And the fish room... http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/w00t2.gif http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/w00t2.gif

P.S. No thats not me in the avatar... :rolleyes:

mr_alberta
01-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Thanks Jon for hosting the meet! Had a great time. Food was great too! :biggrin:

danny zubot
01-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks Jon a and Katie from me aswell. Also. thanks to Tim, Tony and Bob for the goods I got from them. I have a new splash of color in my tank now! :smilecol:

Buccaneer
01-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Oh Yea .... suuuuuuuuuuuuuushi ... mmmmm ... yum :cool:

DiscusZ
01-31-2005, 04:24 AM
What time where you there Steve.. I missed you and Norberto.. Ahh Well Next time.

Jim

Canadian Man
01-31-2005, 05:25 AM
What time where you there Steve.. I missed you and Norberto.. Ahh Well Next time.

Jim

You missed them! comeon! There wasn't that many people there :razz: :lol:

bulletsworld
01-31-2005, 07:24 AM

-Rich She did :eek: I can vaguely recall posing for one :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think it is time for us to get together so we can crash your next one. :evil: I remember the grub at Beth's was fine. :biggrin:

Hey everyone, yup I took pictures! Sorry if I missed anyone. Now I just have to go read & figure out how to post them all together in one post. :lol: :lol:

Hey Rich & Brad, you guys actually got up this morning!! I seen your time stamps! :eek: After you dropped me off first getting home after 1:00 AM-ish, I was so tired after going to bed at almost 5am by the time I finished unloading baggies, acclimating everthing & had to baby my new clams, urchin, coco worm & Tony's Maroon clown that I want now. :biggrin:

The road trip up to Calgary was a blast! It was super fun going to all the Calgary reef stores, finding amazing deals, great store displays, meeting the people in the stores & what was totally fun was bumping into other Edmonton reefer carpools, as if it was a competition to hit all the stores scooping up the deals first. :lol: Hey Edmonton Reefers, next time we all have to get together and rent a bus hey. :lol: Thanks Rich (RICHER) & Brad (SNAGGLE) for letting me ride up with you guys! Especially "City limits" (inside joke) & Tim Hortons pit stops ("You guys went to a REEF (weed) meeting?" as the Tim Hortons cashier mouth drops. :lol: We corrected him with telling him it was saltwater meet but damn we all had a good chuckle as we left the store. It was so fun! Thanks guys. *HUGS*

The meeting was WOW, biggest & most awesome meet I have been to yet. Glad I could make the trip up. It was a great pleasure to meet all of you and put faces & names to your Avatars.

With all the being said......

I bow to Jonathan & Katie for hosting the meet. Thank you for having us Edmontonians! Your tank was truly amazing and the fish room..... :eek: Drool.... WOW! Truly amazing! O.k I can't stop bowing to you. Also your frags I got off of you are amazing and the clams....Awww..... thank you for my new clams. I LOVE them! I named them both Mussel's 1 & 2. :lol:

Thanks again! :mrgreen: Calgary you rock!

Now I'm off to figure out how to post these reef meeting pic's!

Buccaneer
01-31-2005, 08:02 AM

Jim

Hey Jim ... We got there shortly after 6 I think but we had to leave around 7:30 :sad:

Next meet we will be sure to hang around and swap sump stories :razz: :mrgreen:

DiscusZ
01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
not sure how I missed ya then I was there at 6 and left at 9 :)

BMW Rider
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry I missed the meet. I ended up getting home late from work. One of the night shift guys called in sick, so I ended up staying until a replacement arrived. Glad so many of you did make it, I hope that we can do one again that I can make it to.

Doug
01-31-2005, 07:44 PM
We want pics,

:multi:

Bob I
02-01-2005, 01:13 AM
We want pics,

:multi:

Bug Lee, I think she was the only one with a camera :rolleyes:

bulletsworld
02-01-2005, 04:29 AM
sorry guys been crazy busy these days.

Can I email these pic's all to someone and they post them for me.

As I still have to figure out how to post them up anyway.

Thanks a bunch,

Lee :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
02-01-2005, 05:52 PM
O.k Richer is working on them this evening. I fired the pic's over to him to down size & stuff. Hopefully pic's up sometime tonight.

Thanks everyone for offering to help. Sorry Richer about passing the buck to you...but thanks for the help.

:eek: Please dont say we have to edit names by the faces. :eek:

Good thing my camera has the zoom in feature. Zoom into the name tags we were wore that night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richer
02-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Pictures are up in a new thread found here (http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14009). If you're on 56k, don't even bother.

-Rich

sumpfinfishe
02-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Looks like that was a fantasic meet, I guess you guy's hold better meets because you have to stay inside all year round with the cold weather and all :razz: :mrgreen:

This westcoast reefer is planning on crashing the next one :exclaim:

Oh yeah, anything that's wet and come's in a little baggie is alway's a sure way to put a smile on Deb's face :biggrin:

EmilyB
02-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Looks like that was a fantasic meet, I guess you guy's hold better meets because you have to stay inside all year round with the cold weather and all :razz: :mrgreen:

This westcoast reefer is planning on crashing the next one :exclaim:

Oh yeah, anything that's wet and come's in a little baggie is alway's a sure way to put a smile on Deb's face :biggrin:

Rich....I don't need baggies no mo :rolleyes: :razz:

albert_dao
02-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Hmmmm, I have pice, mostly of the tank there. I'll work on them once LAZINESS stops teasing me with its promises.