PDA

View Full Version : ground probe placement

Willow
01-29-2005, 11:28 PM
im not even sure these things work but i have one so im gonna use it. would it work if i stuck this think in my sump? or should it be in my display? how for down into the tank does it have to be?

thanks

monza
01-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Sump works, any where in the water.

Dave

Rikko
01-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Man, I thought I clicked on the car battery thread and read your post...

Scared me, buddy. :D

Anywhere in the water column is fine, as long as someof the titanium on the probe touches water.
Look at it this way: if you drop a hair dryer into your tank, where are you comfortable putting your finger?

G1GY
01-30-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm going to look into getting one of these. Where do you get one and where is it grounded to?

Willow
01-30-2005, 06:57 AM
i bought mine from marine depot a few years ago. it has a plug with the ground only that you just plug into an outlet. i think it was 15 bucks or something.

i see j&l has them in stock..

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=mc-gp

G1GY
01-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks Willow. :smile:

Rikko
01-30-2005, 06:41 PM
It's generally a good idea to only use a grounding probe with a GFCI. Reason being that if a voltage leak is in fact present, then as it "drains" out the grounding probe, the GFCI will detect it and trip.. Power is cut until you can resolve the problem. Without a GFCI the grounding probe will just give you current flowing through the system from your damaged device to ground. I think some RC safety police have suggested that a heavy voltage leak can also be fatal if you reach into the tank using a probe (I'm not sure how that would work if it's going to ground anyways..).