PDA

View Full Version : Which glass shops will drill? (Lower Island)

Kabong
01-29-2005, 11:17 PM
As subject states which of the local glass shops will drill my tank for me?
Im lower island so basicaly this side of the malahat.

Can i get acrylic at any of the glass shops? Or should i got to industrial plastics for it? Or should i even bother with acrylic? (for overflow boxes and dividers in sump)

Manny
01-30-2005, 01:19 AM
you could go thruogh any of the local fish stores that deal with salt water critters. they will drill it and install the overflow and maybe even through in a stand pipe.

Kabong
02-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Ok so The LFS's use Victoria glass $30 a hole
Excalibur glass said they'd do it for $10 - $20 depending on size (he's never actually done it though)
The Guys that made my Tank $45 hole (I actually purchased my tank from Don at Sidney pets. His tanks are made locally)

I went with the $45 Hole The guy at excaliabur made me nervous.
$30 at victoria glass seemed alright, But i figured i might as well pay the extra $15 and get it done buy someone who works on aquraiums for a living.

StirCrazy
02-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Ok so The LFS's use Victoria glass $30 a hole
Excalibur glass said they'd do it for $10 - $20 depending on size (he's never actually done it though)
The Guys that made my Tank $45 hole (I actually purchased my tank from Don at Sidney pets. His tanks are made locally)

I went with the $45 Hole The guy at excaliabur made me nervous.
$30 at victoria glass seemed alright, But i figured i might as well pay the extra $15 and get it done buy someone who works on aquraiums for a living.

Tim, are they actualy sending the tank to sea star to drill it? or is some one going to do it in the back room? if it is some one doing it in the back room go with Victoria glass unless they are going to give you a guarantee on your tank.

Manny, no LFS in town has a lot of experiance in drilling tanks themself and I would chose a glass shop over any of them unless they are sending it to sea start to be drilled.

Steve

Kabong
02-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I drove the tank to sea star myself. So yep i know there gonna drill it for me.

Noj
04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Where is sea star? How did it turn out?

what was your total cost for drilling, overflow, standpipe? if you dont mind me asking....

Thanks

Kabong
04-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Where is sea star? How did it turn out?

what was your total cost for drilling, overflow, standpipe? if you dont mind me asking....

Thanks

Sea star is part of West Coast Koi, Which is out buy Prospect lake. For the record they cant sell direct. You have to go through a store. I picked mine up my 50G from Don @ Sidney pets for $145

The hole turned out as expected, No shattered pane's or anything :biggrin:

My plumbing is through the back of my tank not the bottom.
http://members.shaw.ca/kabong/pipe.jpg
So theres no standpipe, But so far my costs have been

$145---50g Tank
$45----Drilled hole
$10----1" Bulk head
$10----Mis. PVC pipe/fittings
$20----Overflow ( i have'nt actually made it yet but there no way it should be more then $20, Because my hole on the back i only need a 5x5x4 box)