PDA

View Full Version : Mag 12

Corey
01-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Im setting up a new tank with a Mag 12, Im using a smaller sump so I want to plumb the mag outside the sump, any suggestions on how to do it? Will the pump work if its above the water line or does it HAVE to sit below? any diagrams on how to plumb it would be very appreciated.

Invigor
01-27-2005, 09:47 PM
below would be where you need it, as for plumbing, a drilled sump would be the easiest and just use a bulkhead to a 1.5" pipe to the inlet of your mag12 :D

Corey
01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
drill a hole for a 1.5" bulk head? it doesnt have to be the same diameter of the inlet?

pocilipora
01-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I think the mag 12 has a 3/4" inlet. Just dont go any smaller than 3/4" or you will restrict flow. Bigger would be better, but not needed.

Richer
01-27-2005, 11:01 PM
The documents that come with a mag pump suggest doubling pipe size for the pump. So if your pump has a 3/4" input/output then a 1.5" pipe is suggested. Several people who have switched from a smaller pipe to the recommended pipe size report seeing a nice increase of flow in a mag pump.

-Rich

Invigor
01-28-2005, 01:03 AM
The documents that come with a mag pump suggest doubling pipe size for the pump. So if your pump has a 3/4" input/output then a 1.5" pipe is suggested. Several people who have switched from a smaller pipe to the recommended pipe size report seeing a nice increase of flow in a mag pump.

-Rich

bingo!

i'm not sure about how large the holes need to be, but i think it's larger than the bulkhead by a bit (obviously) like a 2" hole for a 1.5" pipe, which really, is only 1/4" of play before you tighten it. and yes, I run a mag12 on 3/4" pipe and i'm changing it whenever I remember to stop at a store for some pvc...i'm pretty lazy when it comes to that