PDA

View Full Version : J&L Reef Custodian Order

Beverly
01-27-2005, 03:51 PM
As I was unable to get the snails I wanted from the order set up by Harvey (mewguy), I must find a new source for the snails I require. J&L has a 25% off sale of their reef custodians:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/livestock/janitors.htm

The sale ends on January 31, so if you are interested, please proceed quickly. I am going to phone J&L this afternoon to order the snails I require. If anyone else want to get in on this order, I will set it up with J&L to have your order shipped with mine, under the name Beverly. You will have to prepay for your livestock, and we can divide the shipping costs when the order is shipped.

PM me if you are interested. Prices look good :biggrin:

Bob I
01-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Beverly I strongly suggest that you get Trochus snails for you BB tanks. Astreas are a poor choice, and I don't know how Margaritas would do as all mine died. I currently have a mix of Trochus and some Stomatella I transferred from another tank. Both are doing well in my BB 20H. :biggrin:

Beverly
01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
boB,

I have very few snails in my three BB tanks. The 37g has about 5 astreas and they seem to be doing okay. In my 67g, I have maybe two astreas and three ceriths, and have thick algae on the back of the tank that needs to be cleared up. In my 120g, the tank of death for snails, has both astrea and margaritas. There are only a few left and in this tank I also have the back coated with algae. Since feeding the 120g four times daily, the snail death rate has diminished substantially, so I'm thinking the flame back angel was killing the snails. Now that this fish is getting fed more often, in small quantities, I believe my snail deaths will be very low from now on.

However, none of my tanks has near enough snails, so I can't properly determine if the algae build up is due to the wrong snails or the lack of them :confused:

Did a quick search on the two snails you mentioned. Stomatellas come out only at night and trochus can get to be 8" - a shocker :eek:

Beverly
01-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Already got one PM with an order :biggrin:

I will be contacting J&L this afternoon at about 2 pm to set up my order and to tell them that others will want to piggy back their orders with mine. Will let you all know who the contact person is so we can talk to the same person, and hopefully, there will be no confusion.

Your orders will have to be paid at the time of ordering, so have your credit card ready. Shipping costs will be divided among us at the time of shipping and pick up.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-27-2005, 05:37 PM
I also had problems keeping Margarita snails this summer. A while back, I read somewhere that these snails are cooler temp. spp. so that's why I had so many die off when temps went up in the heat of summer. I had 15 or 20 from Paul's & now I have only couple left.

Margarita snails are cheap, but not if they just end up as hermit condos. :mad: :confused:

Have had much better luck with trochus & turbos & stomatellas (these last ones came in as hitchhikers).

JME

Anthony

mr_alberta
01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey Bev,

Good luck with you new order. Sorry you couldn't work something out :sad:

Beverly
01-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Anthony,

I had something killing my both my margaritas and astreas in one tank. There are warm water species of margaritas and I have them in my tanks now, though not as nearly as many as I need.

BTW, at what temps did your margaritas die? I keep my tanks between 77 and 82.

Beverly
01-27-2005, 08:01 PM
ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS:

J&L Toll Free # (888) 840-1146

Order here: http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/livestock/janitors.htm

Talk to Jeff and say the order is to be shipped with Beverly's.

Orders taken until the end of the sale which is Monday, January 31.

Each person pays for their own livestock, so have your credit or debit card handy. Each invoice will have my name on it and the initials of and order number of the person ordering. Each bag will be labeled with the person's initials so there will be no confusion as to which bag goes to which person.

Shipping will be billed to me, and we will sort out shipping costs per person at arrival.

Shipping days will be either Mon, Tue, Thu and will be finalized after all orders are received.

PM me when you have made your order so I can get back to you when the shipment will arrive.

So far, there are two other people interested in getting in on this shipment. The more orders we make, the lower our shipping costs will be :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Once it reached high 70s, they started dropping like flies :evil:
I strongly suspect mine were not the warm water Margaritas. (stating the obvious :biggrin: )

Anthony

BlkWolfe
01-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Bev

ill be in

Beverly
01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Cool, Josh :cool: PM me after you have ordered. I'll have two empty pails for you, too. Did those halides come in yet?

BlkWolfe
01-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Still waiting on the halides :rolleyes:

i still gotta make payment on my aquariacanada order pending a fish being available. ill ask ivan for an update

StirCrazy
01-28-2005, 01:04 AM
from what I have read the warm water Margaritas are still only from water that is 72 degrees, the last a but but still die in our tanks. Bev, I would suggest astrea, trocus (sp) and certh but it is probably to lait for my recommendations :mrgreen: and you won't find trochus at J&L which bums me out as I can't find them locally either.

Steve

Bob I
01-28-2005, 01:17 AM
I get my Trochus locally at Gold Aquarium. I like them very much even though they like to come out at night. I have not seen an 8" one yet :eek: My Astreas like to fall over and die. I also like Cerith, but have only tried them in tanks with sandbeds where they last a long time. :biggrin:

mr_alberta
01-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I find that the Ceriths in my BB tank tend to be on the glass and rocks much more.

Great, I never knew Margaritas were cooler water snails...doh, and I just ordered 10. :mad:

dennenboom
01-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Which kinds are the one's they with the black bodies & conical shells, that they usually have at Aquarium Illusions?

mr_alberta
01-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Those might be ceriths, but I'm not 100% sure.

dennenboom
01-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I did a litte net searching and found out they are trochus snails.

Beverly
01-30-2005, 04:54 PM
ORDER UPDATE:

Had a phone call from Jeff at J&L last evening. Because they have had so many orders (including ours) for reef janitors, they will be waiting for more shipments to come in before being able to ship ours. Shipping should be a week or two he said.

Anyone wanting to still get in on the shipment can do so by the end of Monday January 31 when the sale ends. Ordering information can be found part way down on page one of this thread.

Shipping costs will be tallied when they know the weight of the shipment, so folks ordering lots of stuff will be paying more for shipping than those ordering only a little bit. Don't exactly know how to calculate that at this point, but think we will have to figure it out at the time of arrival.

BCWolfen
01-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Bev,

Might I make a suugestion on the shipping.

Take each person's invoice total, divide it by the total of the entire order.
Now you have a number that represents their percent of the order.
Multipy the shipping costs by that number for each person. That way everyone pays shipping costs equal to the amount they ordered.

Bob I
01-30-2005, 06:27 PM
The last time we ordered from J&L they calculated each person's shipping cost and put that on the invoices. :mrgreen:

Beverly
01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Logical and easy to accomplish suggestion, boB :cool:

StirCrazy
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Bev,

Might I make a suugestion on the shipping.

Take each person's invoice total, divide it by the total of the entire order.
Now you have a number that represents their percent of the order.
Multipy the shipping costs by that number for each person. That way everyone pays shipping costs equal to the amount they ordered.

that only works if the weight ='s the cost for every item. where it would go wrong is if I ordered 20 snails at 25.80 and some one ordered 1 emerald crab at 7.46, the snails are 3X the cost which means by your reasoning if shipping was 20.00 then the snail owner should pay 15 of it and the crap owner 5.00 but in reality the weight of these two items will be the same so shipping (which is based on weight in a size category) should be split equal. Only way to do it is to count up the bags that are similar size and say a small bag counts as 1 part, large bag counts as 2 parts and add the total amount of parts and divide the total by it. pain in the butt, but works.

Steve

Bob I
01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
and the crap owner

Steve

If you think I am going to leave that alone, you are not only dreaming, but full of crap too. :razz: :drinking:

BlkWolfe
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Called my order in today Bev

30 Astrea
30 Cerith
30 Margarita
10 Nassarius
1 Sally lightfoot
and 6 sexy shrimp, but Allen doubted they'd have any in by the time this shipped

Thanks again

Beverly
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ORDER!

For ordering information, see part way down of page one of this thread.

Beverly
02-03-2005, 10:22 PM
ORDER UPDATE

Just talked with Jeff at J&L. Shipping will most likely be during the day of Friday, February 11, but he will phone and confirm on the shipping date. If the shipment goes as planned, and is not bumped (which he said is not very likely), pick up should be Friday early evening.

Shipping costs will be added to each individual's bill, so there will be no need to bring cash to pay me for shipping.

Will update again when I get more information.

BlkWolfe
02-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks Bev :)

Pickup at your place?

Your halides shipped on tuesday so they should be here by then.

Beverly
02-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Great, Josh :biggrin: Tell me how much I owe and we'll have enough cash on hand for the halides.

Yup, pick up at my place. Will PM those who have PMed me confirming their orders with address and other specifics.

BlkWolfe
02-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Bulbs were on my doorstep today :)

Cya friday

Beverly
02-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Hope to see you and everyone else on Friday. Am waiting for confirmation from J&L that will probably come on Friday.

Beverly
02-09-2005, 10:24 PM
SHIPPING UPDATE:

Just spoke with Jeff at J&L. One of their shipments was slightly delayed which, in turn, delays shipping to us.

NEW SHIPPING DAY as far as I now know will be Monday, February 14. I hope this doesn't mess up anybody's Valentine's Day activities. For us, it won't be a problem. We'll just be getting Valentine's snails :biggrin:

Will post more information as I receive it.

Beverly
02-11-2005, 02:23 PM
I have two empty 5g salt pails for give away. May be picked up when the inverts arrive. Any takers?

Beverly
02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
SHIPPING DATE IS TODAY, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 14:

Talked with Jeff yesterday and he assured me shipping would be today. Am waiting for him to call me back with the flight number and local arrival time. I will post this information when I get it, which will probably be this afternoon.

If anyone who ordered stuff does not have our address, please PM me.

Dabbler
02-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Yah, my wife gets crabs for Valentine's Day :mrgreen:

mr_alberta
02-14-2005, 07:56 PM
:lol:

doublette
02-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Yah, my wife gets crabs for Valentine's Day :mrgreen:
I'd rather have chocolate thank you!
:lol:

snaggle
02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
any update on the time yet. I need to get going in to the city soon.

Brad

Beverly
02-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Flight arrives at 5 pm. Figure with traffic and fiddling around at the airport, pick up can begin at 6:30 pm and be as late as 8:00 pm.

Beverly
02-15-2005, 01:58 PM
After almost everybody left from picking up their orders, found a small bag of empty snail shells at the bottom of the last box :confused: These are shells for the hermits folks ordered. Gave them to Cliff (dabbler) who is hoping to go to the meeting on Saturday. If you ordered hermits, PM dabbler to get some shells.

And, thanks to everyone who placed an order. Sure cut down shipping costs for us with our rather small order of snails :biggrin:

Willow
02-16-2005, 11:11 PM
yeah so im at j&l today to grab some nassarius snails and the guy says whoo some huge order from edmonton wiped us out of them the other day.. maybe i can find you 3 cerith snails!

good job bogarting all the snails in western canada guys :razz:

Dabbler
02-17-2005, 01:27 AM
We aim to please :mrgreen: