PDA

View Full Version : Chaetomorpha, also known as Brillo Pad Algae

robzilla
01-27-2005, 03:27 AM
hi, my tank has been up and running for 2 months and was wondering about adding some of Chaetomorpha, also known as Brillo Pad Algae and Spaghetti Algae.
should i stay away from this stuff or is it ok to add?
any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
rob

Delphinus
01-27-2005, 03:40 AM
It's fine to add.

We have another nickname for it here on Canreef though ....... uh .. maybe I won't say what it is in order to keep this "PG rated."

Bob I
01-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I now see how Tony stays 400 posts ahead of me. :razz:

AJ_77
01-27-2005, 04:09 AM
(let it go, Bob - you post-padding weinie) :razz:

Chaeto is often grown in the larger HO filter units like the AquaClear 500. As long as enough light is spilling into it you should be good to go.

Where did you want to add it?

robzilla
01-27-2005, 04:31 AM
i was thinking of adding it to my tank. i dont have a sump set up.
any suggestions as to where in the tank? i dont have powerful lights yets.

Delphinus
01-27-2005, 05:15 AM
I could be wrong on this, but I think it grows better as a free floating tumbling mass, so in a sump, refugium or aquaclear kind of thing might work better than just in the tank. You could probably stuff some under a rock to hold it in place but I'm not sure how well that will work long term, it will probably eventually get sucked into a powerhead input or some such.

StirCrazy
01-27-2005, 01:41 PM
can some one tell me why all of a sudden people want to add algae to there tanks?

Steve

Chin_Lee
01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
can some one tell me why all of a sudden people want to add algae to there tanks?

Steve

must be a reef fad but I don't really see the disadvantage either. My chaeto sits in my sump but its not growing quickly because I do skim very heavily. it should help to some extent with nitrate export. Also i like my chaeto cuz it houses plenty of pods and worms in my sump and it has NEVER gone assexual.

Delphinus
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
It doesn't go sexual which makes it a much better substitute for caulerpa if you're into the macroalgae export idea. It's also grazed upon by some herbivores.

It's not a new idea by any stretch, people have been growing this stuff for years. I don't know where this "all of a sudden" comes from.

Willow
01-27-2005, 07:16 PM
well i run an eco systems so cheato rocks!

trilinearmipmap
01-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Well I come from a FW plant tank background so I have some experience with how plants (actually chaeto is an algae) can suck up nutrients. In a good FW plant tank you have to add KNO3 to keep the nitrates up. My reef tank has a sump with EuroReef skimmer and a small refugium area for chaeto, I am very happy with the resulting water quality despite being too lazy to change water very often. Next tank will be no skimmer just a huge refugium with chaeto and other macroalgae.

robzilla
01-29-2005, 02:48 AM
(let it go, Bob - you post-padding weinie) :razz:

Chaeto is often grown in the larger HO filter units like the AquaClear 500. As long as enough light is spilling into it you should be good to go.

Where did you want to add it?

does anyone have an old aquaclear 500 they want to get rid of??

rob

Beverly
01-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I don't have a sump or refugium, so I use macroalge in my tanks to suck up nutrients.

StirCrazy
01-29-2005, 04:10 PM
It's not a new idea by any stretch, people have been growing this stuff for years. I don't know where this "all of a sudden" comes from.

I am talking on the board not in the hobby.

Steve

Dabbler
01-29-2005, 06:07 PM
does anyone have an old aquaclear 500 they want to get rid of??

rob

I think eddie holland has one give him a pm. I have spare parts, but a cracked tank that I wouldn't trust.