PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid sump not good

Skimmerking
01-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Ok i havea 36" rubbermaid sumop drilled for a float switch and and my 3MD on the far right. In there i have my skimmer i bought from Jayson. :mrgreen: Love it awesome anyways is anyone out there struggle with micro bubbles trying to get rid of them. The only way i can do it is with a glass sump and baffles> GREAT IDEA.

Or add filter floss to the sump \. I have a 5 gal red sea salt container to where the over flow water flows from upstairs to the sump. Then the water is broken up in the container thur filter floss , and some old rock in there to loose the bubbles.

then out thur the bottom thur 2 bulk heads. I know the floss is working great to take away the bubbles somewhat and cleans the water in no time. How long would you keep the floss in the container before changing. Talked to Doug and he does it every 2-3 days i believe. Can i go longer .

And Knowing that the Nitrates will build up in the floss ,but i have a 2-2.5 "
sand bed will that take away the NItrates.

mike

Beverly
01-27-2005, 01:44 AM
And Knowing that the Nitrates will build up in the floss ,but i have a 2-2.5 " sand bed will that take away the NItrates.

Michael,

Nitrates won't build up in your system if you clean the floss weekly in outgoing changewater. The changewater will preserve the bacteria in the floss, but will clean out the crud that becomes nitrate.

Skimmerking
01-27-2005, 01:53 AM
So I can keep it in there and change it say every 2 weeks and so small water changes say every 3 weeks.

mike

Beverly
01-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Michael,

I do water 15% changes weekly on three tanks, siphon out the crud from the bare bottoms, tear down all the powerheads to clean them plus clean the foams in the prefilters. EVERY FREAKING WEEK :exclaim: You should get very little nitrate build up in your tank with frequent (weekly) maintenance. JMHO :biggrin:

A couple of days ago, I checked nitrate in the tank I feed four times a day. It was only 5 ppm. Have a lot of macroalgae in that tank which probably helps keep nitrate down. No skimmer or sump, though.

Orion80
01-29-2005, 03:46 AM
i change my filter floss when ever it seeems to b getting dirty, and I actually have basically the same type of set up, but inseat of actually bulkheads in my filterfloss pail i just drilled abunch of holes near the bottom, cheaper and easier.

Adie