PDA

View Full Version : Everyones Discus

Ryan
01-25-2005, 02:33 AM
I know that alot of people keep discus so i decided i will post some pics of mine. Feel free to post pictures of your Discus also. After all they are the King of the Aquarium :biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1372calgary.jpg

This is from a local Breeder.

Aquattro
01-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Ryan, nice fish. Keep it well fed and the water clean to keep the nice shape.

Cap'n
01-25-2005, 04:17 AM
That does look nice. Best picture I've seen from you, Ryan.

Ryan
01-25-2005, 04:25 AM
CPT thanks i have been practicing.After hunting season i took my dog out to get some pics of phesants it is hard to get one moving. That and a local discus hobbiest and friend likes weekly updates :razz: anyway more to come

reef_raf this guy gt all the food he can eat water is always clean 75 percent water changed every other day helps. Ill will keep u posted.

Ryan
01-25-2005, 04:25 AM
okay this is my roundest one. I bought all these fish for 15 bucks exept for the first one. It shows that they are only 15 dollar fish though bad shape. I dont care much about shape though i chose for colours.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1372December_13_016.jpg
okay bad pic but i wanted to post anyway. He has a round body but the fins ar clamped back he was swiming when i took this pic. I will try again tomorrow

Ryan
01-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Forgot to add all these fish are raised in tap water aged for 24 hours heated to the correct temperature then a W/C is done. By the time it has been bubbled (aged) then heated then me getting around to doing it it s a 48 hour process.

Willow
01-25-2005, 05:11 AM
how in gods name can anyone keep up with 75% water changes every other day! ive heard of some nutty things that reefers do but that takes the cake!

Aquattro
01-25-2005, 06:41 AM
how in gods name can anyone keep up with 75% water changes every other day! ive heard of some nutty things that reefers do but that takes the cake!

When I raised discus, I changed 90% of the water in 7 tanks daily :rolleyes:
The ease of a reef after that was nice and relaxing.

G1GY
01-25-2005, 06:42 AM

I also changed twice a week with ro/di water when I had Gan Discus.

Willow
01-25-2005, 07:47 AM
so decent mecanical filtration isnt enough for discus? or are you changing this much water for breeding purposes?

Ryan
01-25-2005, 04:05 PM
I have a storage container and i dont change the water for breeding. Discus put a hormone into the water that cannot be taken out with any filtration. After that hormone builds up it starts to effect your fish. Plus discus come from an area where only clean water flows so there is no ummm i dont know how to say it but basicaly bad water. W/C are actualy really easy i have a pump rigged up so i can drain my tank in 5 minutes and fill it back up in 10 the enitre process only takes about 20 minutes. It is alot of work but totaly worth it.