PDA

View Full Version : closed loop

eddie holland
01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
has anyone here built a closed loop.my tank is not drilled,but have a hang on overflow comeing. sump is being built now.flow is 1600gph,pump will match. my tank is 230 gal wanting to get the flow up their.any help would be great. want to make things perfect or close too.what are your thoughts.
thanks ed
lots of ? sorry just wanting to do it right

mr_alberta
01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
For a closed loop with an undrilled tank, you are probably going to have to go with something like shown here:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

You don't need the SCWD wavemaker or anything like that, but the design would be pretty much the same. Just replace the SCWD with a PVC Tee fitting or any other arrangement of fittings depending on how you want to distribute the flow.

I've used this setup myself and it works quite well. Just remember to prime the pump before starting it.

Invigor
01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
I did that same design as mark's..all I can say is make your intake LARGE and your output on your pump large, I find that smaller pipe (3/4" on a mag12) REALLY restricts flow..I'm going to do 1" out and 1.5" in once I get around to it...try to stay away from flex pipe too, I find that the barbed fittings cause too much unneccesary restriction

hth.

guysmiley
01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey Ed,

Check out www.oceansmotions.com. They have motorized ball valves that make closed loops really kick some butt! Or for the same money, check out the Tunze Wavebox! Both products are available from Canadian dealers. I'd like to add the wavebox to my tank because I don't have room behind it for a closed loop.

Garrick.

G1GY
01-24-2005, 06:34 PM
I done a closed loop on my 90 with a Mag 18, a 1-1/2" inlet and 4 3/4" outlets. (Any larger than this you don't get any real current in the tank.)