PDA

View Full Version : Flood!

BCWolfen
01-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Well, my 77Gal sprang a leak tonight. The bottom plate seprated ever so slightly from one of the sides and started to pour all over the floor.

Managed to get all the water out before it ruined evrything.

Many thanks to air*force*one for providing a new home to my cichlids.
They would not have survived the night.

Scavanger or Christy. Do either of you know which glass shop in Naniamo does aquariums. I had this same problem 2 years ago when I first bought the tank. Obviously they did not do a very good job, so I'd like to find a better place that can completely tear it down and re build it.

Does anyone have an idea if this is worth it? Or would it be checpaer to just buy another tank?

Thanks.....

Tired and wet....

StirCrazy
01-24-2005, 04:43 AM
DO you have foam under the tank? if it has happened befor on the same stand I would guess that the stand isn't totaly flat and not suporting the tank properly. this can be fixed with a layer of foam under the tank if it is only a small difference.

sucks that you had the flood but one good thing is it was fresh water.

Steve

BCWolfen
01-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Ya, this is true. No it was a different stand, but I will definately look into using foam. Do you cut it to the exact inside side of the plastic support so it only touches the glass bottom? Also how thick should it be?

mwm
01-24-2005, 05:28 AM
That sucks! OH well your fish went to a good home atleast

StirCrazy
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Ya, this is true. No it was a different stand, but I will definately look into using foam. Do you cut it to the exact inside side of the plastic support so it only touches the glass bottom? Also how thick should it be?

I cut it about 1/4" larger than the plastic support. so the plastic support is resting on the foam.

Steve

Scavenger
01-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Bummer on the flood Gerald.

Though I haven't used them myself, the glass shop right beside My Fish Tank does tanks. I know Rob uses them alot and if you play your cards right, someone took in a 90 gallon for repair and never came back for it. You may be able to swing a nice deal there.

BCWolfen
01-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks Steve,

Looks like I will be getting a 90Gal with LR and sand in it already this weekend. What thickness of foam would you recommend? Just a thin 1/4" piece to help disrtibute the weight?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I buy that pink foam insulation stuff they sell at HomeDepot. It's either 8' long & you can cut to size. Personally, I have 2 layers under my 100g acrylic. Very inexpensive but well worth it. :biggrin:

Sorry for your flood. Actually, I'm glad you posted this thread because I was offered a great price on a "15 years old tank" but now I know I made the right decision to turn it down.

Anthony

Willow
01-24-2005, 07:21 PM
i stuck a layer under my actual stand to help with some uneveness in my tile floor. i guess i find out in a few days if the tiles all pop out around the tank :eek:

Coldwater
01-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Rob at My Fish Tank builds aquariums. Its not very cheap though. I just got a 73 gallon that was pretty pricey. Its worth it though because he uses lots of caulking and thick glass.

Matt

mwm
01-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Rob at My Fish Tank builds aquariums. Its not very cheap though. I just got a 73 gallon that was pretty pricey. Its worth it though because he uses lots of caulking and thick glass.

Matt
How much did that cost?

StirCrazy
01-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks Steve,

Looks like I will be getting a 90Gal with LR and sand in it already this weekend. What thickness of foam would you recommend? Just a thin 1/4" piece to help disrtibute the weight?

I use the pink sheets at home depot that are 1/2" thick.
just one layer will do as if your stand is more than 1/4" out it should be fixed hehe

Steve

Coldwater
01-25-2005, 02:14 AM
How much did that cost?

It cost some $513.34$. That included a 73 gallon tank, three sump holes with bulkhead fittings and a glass lid. :rolleyes: . That took me a while to make because all I have is a paper route and I do odd jobs. :biggrin: .

Matt

air*force*one
01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Well, my 77Gal sprang a leak tonight. The bottom plate seprated ever so slightly from one of the sides and started to pour all over the floor.

Managed to get all the water out before it ruined evrything.

Many thanks to air*force*one for providing a new home to my cichlids.
They would not have survived the night.

Scavanger or Christy. Do either of you know which glass shop in Naniamo does aquariums. I had this same problem 2 years ago when I first bought the tank. Obviously they did not do a very good job, so I'd like to find a better place that can completely tear it down and re build it.

Does anyone have an idea if this is worth it? Or would it be checpaer to just buy another tank?

Thanks.....

Tired and wet....

i was told it is like 20$ for a new peace of glass on a 55g you should go to one of the local glass shops and ask prices there is one right next to my fish tank i think and it is easy to reseal things and my fish tank does it aswell if you do not wanna do it yourself.