PDA

View Full Version : Tahitian Blend or DT's ??

megatron_55
01-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey guys . . . need a little help here again :mrgreen: Anyhow i've been using DT's Live Phytoplankton for atleast a year now and my tank is looking amazing . . . I've just added two clams in my tank and am wondering which is a better food supplement for my filter feeders (incl. inverts) Someone suggested me with Tahitian Blend and I'm just wondering if anyone out there has tried both Tahitian Blend or Dt's and in your opinion which works best? Any info would be helpful :lol:

Cheers-

Pansy-Paws
01-23-2005, 09:38 PM
I've tried both, and now use Tahitian blend exclusively (and available locally from Jack and Wendell).

I didn't really notice a lot of difference in the tank with the two approaches, but DT's is more expensive ... :eek: :eek:

My comparison was by watching fan worm populations, since I don't have a lot of other filter feeders. So, take this observation with a grain of sand ... other organisms may respond better with one or the other :mrgreen:

Chin_Lee
01-23-2005, 11:43 PM
The difference is DT is alive and TB is not. Of course "fresh" food is always considered superior to previously frozen. BUT we have been feeding frozen mysis and other frozen foods to our fish for years and many of them are still alive and thriving after many many years; I don't believe that our clams or filter feeder will differentiate between the two types of algae..... after all, FOOD IS FOOD.
Where you will get a difference is in your bank account - i don't know how I would calculate the equivalent ratio of DT to TB but what I do know is my bottle of TB has lasted me 2 months and I still have 1/3 bottle. I feed my rotifer culture daily and each feeding i mix in about 13-15 drops into a quart of water. The darkness of algae in that quart of water is approximately the same color as DT. If I were to use 1 quart of DT per day, I believe I would have claimed bankruptcy after the first month and sold my house shortly thereafter.
I recommend DT if money is not a concern. Otherwise, TB is a much more economical.