PDA

View Full Version : Threads locked in Vendor's Rating forum

Bob I
01-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Why is it that whenever a thread in the Vendor's Rating forum gets a few posts in it one of the moderators locks it :question:

I thought that forum was a place where people could post their experiences :confused:

If the moderators don't like the content of the posts, or are worried about stepping on someone's toes, they should maybe get rid of the forum altogether.

Aquattro
01-23-2005, 05:14 PM
We're working on it Bob. Essentially when the thread starts arguing about who is right or wrong, my LFS is better than yours, or the subject shifts to the price of tea in china, the thread has run it's course and is serving no other purpose.
It then gets locked.

Doug
01-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Bob, one of the reasons, is reply,s like your last one on that thread. It has nothing to do with a vendor report.

The forum is to " RATE" a vendor, good or bad. Its not for everyone to add their two cents worth later, unless they have particular dealings with the vendor.

If we are going to have a forum such as this, then its best we all just stick to the good/bad report.

As Brad said, we are currently talking about how to correct this problem.
Thanks

Bob I
01-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Not wanting to nag, but it states as follows: Post your experiences, comments, and suggestions IMHO, that is exactly what people have been doing.

So if people are following those guidelines as set out, they should be allowed to carry on, or the guidelines should be changed.

Just my two cents worth. :rolleyes:

Aquattro
01-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Not wanting to nag, but it states as follows: Post your experiences, comments, and suggestions IMHO, that is exactly what people have been doing.

So if people are following those guidelines as set out, they should be allowed to carry on, or the guidelines should be changed.

See my response to this in your other post. your text in red is meant for the person posting the thread, not the audience it is presented to. So stop nagging!! :razz:

Bob I
01-23-2005, 08:50 PM

See my response to this in your other post. your text in red is meant for the person posting the thread, not the audience it is presented to. So stop nagging!! :razz:

Okay, that's an interesting point. :idea: I, therefore, understand from what you say that those guidelines are only for the poster; not for the person replying to that post :question: . That narrows it down considerably. :eek:

Quinn
01-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Easy solution. Set the forum to allow no replies, just new posts. I would bet this would significantly discourage the posts you don't want.

Bob I
01-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Easy solution. Set the forum to allow no replies, just new posts. I would bet this would significantly discourage the posts you don't want.

Finally, something that brings Quinn out of hiding. :multi: . I would agree, as all posts have a tendency to get away. One post, and one post only would get the desired results. :biggrin:

Aquattro
01-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Sort of where I was going, however I'm not sure we can do that with the board software. I'll run it by Titus to see if that would work or even be desireable. My head hurts :razz:

StirCrazy
01-23-2005, 09:45 PM

apparently there is no setting for that.

How about this, we all just keep the replies to factual experiences we have also had with the company. So in other words if you see a post about how some one loves salt water drain in moose jaw and you haven't dealt with them, then you don't post. but if you also had a dealing with them as you needed to buy a fish as you were driving through 6 hours of flatness then put down your experience also. this way it will be a useful resource to anyone who wants to look up the reputation of a business.

Maybe the Mods could also change the post description to include that only relevant posts dealing with personal experiences are to be made.

Steve

Aquattro
01-23-2005, 09:59 PM
How about this, we all just keep the replies to factual experiences we have also had with the company.

My concern with that is this....If I post my experience with my LFS, good or bad, it's my post and it's about my stuff. I really don't care if you agree or don't agree with my experience with my LFS, and I don't care if it makes it easy for someone to search thru. It's about me, and I want to stand up and be heard, good or bad, and I don't want other canreefers stealing my thunder. I suppose, in all honesty, if you want to stand behind me and YA!!!, what he said!!, then that's OK, but don't go posting in MY thread that MY opinion isn't real or just or anything but "YA, what he said!!". See what I mean? That is what vendor ratings mean to me. It's about MY experience. I don't want to discuss stuff, I just want my 15 seconds on the soap box to spout off about how good or bad something was to me.
And if you want to search for posts on Safari or J&L or SWF, do a search on that keyword in the vendor ratings forum, and you'll get it all there. If you have to click your mouse a few more times, deal with it. Now all this being said, this is only my opinion on what I think the VR forum is for.

Bob I
01-23-2005, 10:29 PM
You are right IMO. Unfortunately if you put people on their honour not to vent their feelings about what you said it won't happen. I promise to be good, but I can't vouch for anyone else. :biggrin:

Doug
01-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Most of whats said above is along the lines of what my post was refering to. I was not picking on you Bob, :smile: , just using your post in that thread as an example of what we are talking about. I know we have all done it.

I,m not sure of the answer either. I personally think its ok to respond to someone else,s thread, relating ones good experience, when the threads intent is to relay the posters bad experience.

As long as the poster has dealt there. For instance Deb was posting about her good experience with the dealer on the same thread, as were others. I think this gives a better overall view of the dealer.

Aquattro
01-23-2005, 10:55 PM
You are right IMO. Unfortunately if you put people on their honour not to vent their feelings about what you said it won't happen. I promise to be good, but I can't vouch for anyone else. :biggrin:

I know, and I guess I need to stop trying to put myself out of a job! Hopefully people just think about what their reply will acomplish before hitting submit. I'm going to go have a nap....

Bob I
01-23-2005, 11:39 PM
As long as the poster has dealt there. For instance Deb was posting about her good experience with the dealer on the same thread, as were others. I think this gives a better overall view of the dealer.

Agreed, but the problem here is that Deb's experience was quite awhile in the past, whereas Lee's experience was current. To be totally fair, the past is gone, but the now is here. IMO only the present has real validity. Lee felt Ray did her wrong, and that is what she eloquently reported. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
01-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Agreed, but the problem here is that Deb's experience was quite awhile in the past, whereas Lee's experience was current. To be totally fair, the past is gone, but the now is here. IMO only the present has real validity. Lee felt Ray did her wrong, and that is what she eloquently reported. :biggrin:

so if the past is gone then what about my experences last week or last month or yesterday? and who gets to decide what is past and gone and what is still valad??? you??? :mrgreen:

Steve

G1GY
01-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Agreed, but the problem here is that Deb's experience was quite awhile in the past, whereas Lee's experience was current. To be totally fair, the past is gone, but the now is here. IMO only the present has real validity.

OK......

Then it's decided!

Only post future experiences that you might have.

Mine will all be good. :lol:

Bob I
01-24-2005, 01:19 AM

so if the past is gone then what about my experences last week or last month or yesterday? and who gets to decide what is past and gone and what is still valad??? you??? :mrgreen:

Steve

I would answer that, but I think you get the point. All you are really doing is helping me with my post count. :multi:

StirCrazy
01-24-2005, 01:25 AM

Steve

I would answer that, but I think you get the point. All you are really doing is helping me with my post count. :multi:

we all need a little help now and then :mrgreen:

Steve

Quinn
01-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Sort of where I was going, however I'm not sure we can do that with the board software. I'll run it by Titus to see if that would work or even be desireable. My head hurts :razz:

There is, under Advanced Forum Permissions Control.

Aquattro
01-24-2005, 01:23 PM

There is, under Advanced Forum Permissions Control.

Yup, I found it. Thanks.

Willow
01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
why do we have 2 threads going in two diffrent forums on the same subject?

Doug
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
why do we have 2 threads going in two diffrent forums on the same subject?

Actually its three. :wink:

Aquattro
01-24-2005, 05:40 PM
and it boosts our post counts :razz:

muck
01-24-2005, 05:45 PM
You mean you check your post counts.. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
01-25-2005, 01:00 AM
and it boosts our post counts :razz:

are you still playing that game? :mrgreen:

Steve

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Wow, you old-timers must have nothing to do but watch the ticker :lol: :lol:

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Even if you could lock a thread so no one could respond IE make it a sticky then someone else could start a new thread as a response and everything is back to the beginning.

Doug

EmilyB
03-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Stirring the pot, Doug? :wink: :lol:

Aquattro
03-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Stirring the pot, Doug? :wink: :lol:

Doug, don't steal Deb's job. She's doing just fine on her own.

EmilyB
03-03-2005, 04:33 AM
http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/verschiedene/4/89.gif

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2005, 12:43 PM
No no, just wanted to see my post count :mrgreen:

Doug