PDA

View Full Version : Help micro bubbles

Tarolisol
01-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Can someone offer me a suggestion to get rid of all the micro bubbles that make it through my sump. Ive tested the pipes and i dont think thats it. Canadian man had some sort of bucket idea i think.

Nemo
01-23-2005, 06:33 PM
In my tank I get them and I was planning on adding more baffals in my sump. I also got them from my return line being to close to the water line, so I dropped the pipe to 1" bellow the water line

Robert

Bryan
01-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Create a baffle that can encompass a piece of DLS foam near the pump intake.

kari
01-23-2005, 07:59 PM
The bucket idea used to work fine in my sump until I added one too many pumps. After that I made an acrylic box with a series of baffles and egg crate. It was made to just drop in since my sump is a plastic tub with irregular shapes.

Canadian Man
01-23-2005, 08:19 PM
I say don't worry about the micro bubbles! If a tank is new you may find lot's of bubbles but that might go away after a week or so.

If it's bad it's hard to not worry about the looks but a few is acceptable IMO.

All personal prefrance though :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
01-23-2005, 08:55 PM
hmmm how do you know you have micro bubbles? I don't think you could see them if they are micro bubbles, maybe you have Macro bubbles :mrgreen:

seriously though how did you test all your piping? and did you rest it from the pump casing all the way to under the water line of the tank?

If you think it is carry over through the sump you could try putting a baffle in to cover the pump suction. Oh how does the water travel through the last baffle be for the pump in your sump?

Steve

Nemo
01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
I was told bubbles or micro bubbles are bad for your corals. So I would do what ever I could to get rid of them

Robert

StirCrazy
01-23-2005, 09:26 PM
I was told bubbles or micro bubbles are bad for your corals. So I would do what ever I could to get rid of them

Robert

hmm how do I explain this. how many coral live in violent wave action areas? Lots off reef flats are partially exposed during tides..

Steve

Tarolisol
01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
The first baffle the water goes over then the next it goes under, then after that there is a filter made from filter floss. Then the pump intake is at the bottom of the sump way below water line.

Murminator
01-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Hmmm is all this true about bubbles???.....my AC filter puts in lots of bubbles from the splashing when it dumps back in :eek:

StirCrazy
01-23-2005, 11:13 PM
The first baffle the water goes over then the next it goes under, then after that there is a filter made from filter floss. Then the pump intake is at the bottom of the sump way below water line.

how far appart are the baffles and then the filter? and what size of sump we talking about and what flow is going through it?

Steve

StirCrazy
01-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Hmmm is all this true about bubbles???.....my AC filter puts in lots of bubbles from the splashing when it dumps back in :eek:

bubbles are unsightly and thats about it. nothing to worry about unless you don't like them.

Steve

muck
01-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Too many micro bubbles, at least IME causes my corals to close up somewhat. A system with none or only a small amount of bubbles in the display tank will result in happier corals. My experience only... :cool:

Tarolisol
01-24-2005, 04:25 AM
The baffles and filter are all about 3in apart. Its putting out quite a bit of bubbles, the sump is about 70 gallons but only filled half way, and probly 2000gph through it.

StirCrazy
01-24-2005, 04:31 AM
The baffles and filter are all about 3in apart. Its putting out quite a bit of bubbles, the sump is about 70 gallons but only filled half way, and probly 2000gph through it.

so your only using a small part of the sump for the baffels?

Steve

Tarolisol
01-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the water pours in then hits a high baffle then goes under one then its the filter screen.

StirCrazy
01-26-2005, 05:07 AM
can you move the filter farther away? sounds like the baffles are to close for your flow.

Steve

Tarolisol
01-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Sound like a plan ill move some stuff around and im going to put a bucket under the output then just let it be for a week or two and see how it ends up. Thanks for all the suggestions.