PDA

View Full Version : My anemone hates me!

michika
01-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I think I am going to forever avoid anemones...

I have a rbta in my 29g, been there since September and is hosted by a pair of tomato clowns. I've been noticing recenty that its tenticles are no longer "bubble tipped".

Water quality is fine as far as my tests tell me, pH 8.2, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all 0, sg is 1.024-1.025, Ca runs around 420-440.The anemone gets 1 full silverside once a week, as well as the ocassionsal mysis/flake/brine/garlic squirt durring regular feedings.

The only thing that I've noticed as of late is that it has moved around quite a bit, probably once every week or two it moves to a different location. Although something may be bothering it (can't figure out for the life of me what it might be), the "bubble tips" vanished or stopped being bubbly long before this constant relocation business started.

Suggestions?

Invigor
01-23-2005, 04:04 PM
try feeding it every day with vitamine soaked food..powergrow that thing!

...my rbta has no bubbles either..and refuses to grow.

mr_alberta
01-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Sometime BTA's just stop having bubbles. I don't think anyone knows why either (well, I've never come across anything conclusive).

Since it is moving around a lot, it probably hasn't found a place to "establish" itself and get comfortable. What are you doing for current and lighting?

michika
01-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I run a coral grow bulb in the morning from 8-10am then MH from 10 until 2:30/3pm, then back to the coral grows from 3pm until whenever I go to bed, usually anywhere between 9-12am. I usually just end up shutting off all the lights at 11pm though.

michika
01-23-2005, 04:21 PM
It doesn't like to be fed everyday, I used to feed it everyday when I first got it, but it just started to refuse the food after awhile.

Maybe I'll try stepping up its feeding again to see if that makes a difference.

mr_alberta
01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Has it grown for you? My green ones seem to stay small and clone like rabbits.

Bob I
01-23-2005, 04:35 PM
BTA's can have bubbletips, or not. It seems to be something they do, or not. It appears to be an unknown factor. I have two of them. Tne one in my 52G is ignored by the Ocellaris Clowns, but it has bubbletips. The one in my 20H has two Percs living in it, and has never had bubbletips. They were purchased at different times from the same place. Both get frozen krill once a week. :confused:

michika
01-23-2005, 04:50 PM
It has grown, probably doubled in size (like everything else in my tank). Although since its bubbletips has vanished it looks smaller then it really is.

I had another one Bob, it just decided that it was too good for me and my tanks and headed off to a better place :(.

I guess its probably okay as it is, I am just worried that something is preventing it, or making it unhappy which is why it refuses to go back to being a bubbletip.

Thanks!

G1GY
01-23-2005, 08:07 PM
try feeding it every day with vitamine soaked food..powergrow that thing!

Over feeding them isn't good for them either.

They need a few days to digest things.

michika
01-23-2005, 10:04 PM
My plan is every 3 or 4 days.